When Windows XP tries to load, I get the following message: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." My options are:

Start in safe mode.
Safe mode with networking.
Safe mode with command prompt.
Last known good configuration setting (most recent setting that worked).
Start Windows normally.
----
If I chose and mode I will go to the black windows loading page and it will continue to load with no change ever coming. I'm pretty sure I caused this problem when windows was shutting down and I flipped the power switch off before windows finished. I've tried every mode and none of them seem to work.
I am ready to try anything that might fix this. I do not need any files stored on my computer. I just want to fix this problem and get the computer running again without having to but and new components.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

try using the Last know good config

When Windows XP tries to load, I get the following message: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." My options are:

Start in safe mode.
Safe mode with networking.
Safe mode with command prompt.
Last known good configuration setting (most recent setting that worked).
Start Windows normally.
----
If I chose and mode I will go to the black windows loading page and it will continue to load with no change ever coming. I'm pretty sure I caused this problem when windows was shutting down and I flipped the power switch off before windows finished. I've tried every mode and none of them seem to work.
I am ready to try anything that might fix this. I do not need any files stored on my computer. I just want to fix this problem and get the computer running again without having to but and new components.

Boot from XP cd, go to first REPAIR. After you enter console type CHKDSK /f. Restart your PC without cd.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.