I was just wanting to get someone elses input before I went and spent more money on something that might not be the problem. For awhile now my computer has been giving me the "blue screen of death" ever so often. Most of the time when it happens it is when I'm watching video or something. I would get the usual stop error of "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I did some researching and came to the conclusion that it was probably my videocard (onboard). I went and bought a new video card and installed it yesterday. NOW the computer works great when watching video, but i still get the BSOD periodically after so long of web surfing. The first time i get it, I reboot and most of the time I will get another stop error before windows has even loaded.. Usually if I let it rest for a while and come back to it, the computer will work fine again. I've checked the temperature in my BIOS and the CPU temp is 180F. I'm thinking that my problem could be the fan or RAM.. Any other suggestions, or how to fix my problem? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

1. Clear your PC's BIOS by removing the battery on the mother board when your computer is powered off.

2.Use Silicon Paste on your CPU in order to transfer heat easily to heat-sink.

3.PC over-clocking maybe one of the causes which will be removed when you clear your PC's BIOS.

4.this should be the first one but check your CPU's Fan in order to know whether it's properly installed or not... .

Good luck.

Did you uninstall the driver for the old video card.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL will occurs if the Driver running at a high IRQL attempts to access memory but encounters a page fault ( the memory that it is trying to access is no longer in ram and has been paged onto the hdd ).

Basically, this error will commonly occur if a driver has been poorly written, Routines running at IRQL>= DISPATCH_LEVEL should not use paged memory.

when you use an board video then move to a pci card you should disable the on board slot through the BIOS. better yet uninstall the device through device manager then restart and disable through the bios. Also ensure you get the latest drivers from the website of the video card.

Yeah, when i installed my new video card I had to disable the onboard card or the new one wouldn't work. I also deleted the old video cards driver from device manager. I don't understand why my computer does this periodically, and then when it starts the computer has to rest a while before it will work without getting the BSOD again everytime it loads.

That would suggest I guess that its something other then the on board graphics card that is causing the issues.

Is it still the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error, or do you get a different one now, Does the dump contain a mention of what driver caused it ?

Well it is kind of odd, I get random errors. Sometimes it is a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR _EQUAL and sometimes it is an win32k.sys error.. It just varies... Sometimes it doesn't even give me what error it is, only that there was an error and windows had to shut down.

What numbers are shown next to the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL? The numbers can be used to find your problem more easily. Also what graphics card do/did you have in your computer when the BSOD occurred?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.