I had my laptop recovered last week since my XP is not loading. That's done. So, when it was finally working I realized that I still had to re-install the video, graphics & modem drivers. When I tried installing the video driver, it didn't work, probably because the driver I had was the wrong one (i'm guessing it was for my desktop, which is xp home). So I tried to use the laptop for a while, without connecting to the internet, without reinstalling the drivers. Then suddenly when I was starting it up one morning, something went wrong. The desktop wasn't showing, but i can hear the start up sound of xp. All I can see in my screen is WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL. The one where the system is loading the OS. When I tried to start up using safe mode, a list of words came out, something similar to

blah...blah..mode(0)partition(1)c:system32/drivers.... blah.. blah..

I can't roll back the driver i installed because I can't even get to my desktop. My laptop is Toshiba Satellite 2400 series. The video driver is S3 SuperSavage IX, and I can't find any site where I can download it.

what's wrong? How can I fix this?
Can somebody please help me? :?: :?: :?:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Have you tried hitting the function key that changes the screen mode? Usually this is a button at the top of the keyboard area, or perhaps, the function key +F4 (seems like that worked on one). Anyhow, you should have a key there that toggles the screen on and off so that if you were using it with a standard monitor, you can turn the screen off on the laptop. If you find the button and can't switch, you might try hooking your desktop monitor up to the laptop and see if it shows up there... if it does, then you could see to change the drivers.

Good Luck!

Have you tried hitting the function key that changes the screen mode? Usually this is a button at the top of the keyboard area, or perhaps, the function key +F4 (seems like that worked on one). Anyhow, you should have a key there that toggles the screen on and off so that if you were using it with a standard monitor, you can turn the screen off on the laptop. If you find the button and can't switch, you might try hooking your desktop monitor up to the laptop and see if it shows up there... if it does, then you could see to change the drivers.

Good Luck!

ok! I think this will really help. I'll let you know. THANKS!

If you have a Xp CD

!) Put the CD into the cd drive and restart your computer
2) You have to boot using the XP CD
3) You will come to a list of three choices PRESS ENTER
4) Now there will be another list press R for Restore

This will fix your system and there will be no loss of work or programs that you may have installed.

Hope this helps :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.