Running IE 6 on Windows 98SE. When clicking on a link that opens a new window, the window new window fails to load. If you hit the refresh button, the window will then load. Problem is, not all links load a window that has the refresh button. Tried repairing IE 6 and windows using msconfig. Tried uninstalling all shareware. Tried reinsalling IE 6. Tried restoring all IE6 default settings. New window still opens, then hour glass sits on screen forever. Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

I have exactly the same problem, try to open anything in a new window and nothing happens, click on 'stop' and then 'refresh' and the window will then open, same with windows that try to open themselves
Java windows won't open either, which makes some sites and services impossible to use.
I've been through everything that MS suggest on the page mentioned in caperjacks post, but nothing has changed, all Registry entries/values are correct, re-loading IE6 doesn't help either, the problem still persists.

Has anyone any ideas?

Kev.

I also have this little bugaboo..........................

I have tried the solution from the second post and it did not work.

Anyone else out there have an idea?

TIA
Scott.

Yeah Stop using that junk WinBlows Internet Exploiter and use a stable browser like mozilla 1.4

download it

Yeah Stop using that junk WinBlows Internet Exploiter and use a stable browser like mozilla 1.4

download it

Mozilla and it's variants have problems too. Firebird isn't exactly tip-top.

Of course, you can always go on about how IE isn't really a browser. It just understands html code and displays it how it wants to. Or how it's really hindering further development on the web side of things (improper png support, CSS2, et cetera), but the original poster probably doesn't care about alternative products, he just wants to view webpages.

That and your post really didn't solve his problem in the first place. I know you mean well, but seriously, all you do is add fuel to the fire.

DRIBBLE:Must be some software that I 'm not using ,that people who have problems with IE are using ,because i use ie 6.0 /no sp1,and do so everyday of the week all day long computer runs 15/16 hrs a day 3 different people 3 different profile ,kazaa /bittorrent,supernova file shareing .high speed cable on all the time .I have never had these IE problems .it works as fast this week as it did last week and the week before ,i have use mozilla ,opera and a few more ,always go back to the one i like best/works best !!! :cheesy:

Pick one ,you'll always go back to the one you like best !
http://browsers.evolt.org

Of course, you can always go on about how IE isn't really a browser. It just understands html code and displays it how it wants to. Or how it's really hindering further development on the web side of things (improper png support, CSS2, et cetera), but the original poster probably doesn't care about alternative products, he just wants to view webpages.

That and your post really didn't solve his problem in the first place. I know you mean well, but seriously, all you do is add fuel to the fire.

PS:I havnt had a problem with mozilla yet

feigned
Well me microsoft and the rest of the world are waiting on your solution to this problem waiting......waiting.......... waiting.......... waiting...........(ect.) and when you get finshed writing the patch post us a link

Somthing tells me that all these people having problems with IE porbably only have 1 out of the 4 of these and if they do they dont update them speaking of updates the next time somebody ask If they should get the driver or get the update or get the patch Im going to start buying and handing out copies of the VIDEO PROFESSOR
A. FIRE WALL here
B. AV here
C. SPY WARE REMOVER here
D.ANTI-TROJAN here

Mozilla and it's variants have problems too. Firebird isn't exactly tip-top.

PS:I havnt had a problem with mozilla yet

feigned
Well me microsoft and the rest of the world are waiting on your solution to this problem waiting......waiting.......... waiting.......... waiting...........(ect.) and when you get finshed writing the patch post us a link

Well, that's great and all, but since you you're calling the kettle black, I think you need to re-evaluate your position on this.

Use Mozilla, like it, whatever. Try another browser, hey, I bet you'll let it too. Go for a third, well wait, that one sucks. Fourth? That one's a bit tougher, cumbersome, takes some time to config properly, don't really like it. Fifth, sure. Wait, it's awesome. It shines with an aura of lillies and jackrabbits hopping in field of lightly scented fairway (non-crab) grass. It's stylish, responds well, seems fairly secure (negatory on the ActiveX side of things), has flash built right in (!), it's truely (non-java) browser heaven. It parts the CSS clouds waiting for your triumphant arrival, and you go headfirst into the transparent PNG revival. Hallelujah, you are saved.

Don't worry kid, I used Netscape back when it was cool to do so as well.

Well, that's great and all, but since you you're calling the kettle black, I think you need to re-evaluate your position on this.

Use Mozilla, like it, whatever. Try another browser, hey, I bet you'll let it too. Go for a third, well wait, that one sucks. Fourth? That one's a bit tougher, cumbersome, takes some time to config properly, don't really like it. Fifth, sure. Wait, it's awesome. It shines with an aura of lillies and jackrabbits hopping in field of lightly scented fairway (non-crab) grass. It's stylish, responds well, seems fairly secure (negatory on the ActiveX side of things), has flash built right in (!), it's truely (non-java) browser heaven. It parts the CSS clouds waiting for your triumphant arrival, and you go headfirst into the transparent PNG revival. Hallelujah, you are saved.

Don't worry kid, I used Netscape back when it was cool to do so as well.

Are you going to post anything useful since thats what you originaly said to me Mr.gates we are still waiting on patch

Hey Hey! Calm down.

Why does everyone cuss Bill Gates? Sure, Windows has it's problems, and his marketting stragety is very aggressive (illegal in the UK), but he's almost managed to unify the computing world. I had Netscape for a while, but I didn't like it. I ahve Linux installed, and it's great, but it doesn't have the support for my drivers and won't run the programs I need.

You like Mozilla, sure, use it. I like IE because just about everyone is at least familiar with it and I really can't be bothered to tune another browser to my prefs. It works fine and is perfectly stable.

Although I must voice my concerns over Microsoft's internal posting system. I sent them a cheque three weeks ago for a replacement disk. It arrived yesterday. Not everyone has a credit card. :roll:

Strange, but none of this has cured my problem . . . . .

Kev.

kevinwed, thanks a million! That sorted it, cheers!

Kev.

Rockmartin2003:

Don't you hate it when jerks just tell you "ie sux use mozilla" when all you want is a fix? I had the exact same problem. Here's the true fix:

Here's some of the the conclusions of www.tek-tips

Step 1

Run the following commands from start/run.
Run each line individually.
After each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful.

The first command is the one most likely to work.

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll (only applicable to Windows ME, Windows 2000 and XP)
regsvr32 shdoc401.dll (only applicable to Windows 95, Windows 98)

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

Reboot Computer and test.

Step 2

The problem can also be caused by the version of oleaut32.dll, and can be resolved by replacing oleaut32.dll version 3.50.5014.0 556kb 8/23/01 with oleaut32.dll version 2.40.4275 492kb 5/11/98.

This is an older version of the file and has been known to remove the problem.

The file is located in MDAC_IE5.CAB

Or

Ie4_1.cab on earlier versions.

If the cab file is not available, it can be downloaded from:

http://193.125.152.107/pub/Infovisor/v6.0/DOWNLOAD/WIN32/EN/MDAC_IE5.CAB/ (Size = 2.1 MB)

Or

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.shtml?oleaut32 (Zip file size = 308 Kb)

This can be done on most Windows versions by using the "System File Checker" utility.

To do so, follow the steps for the appropriate version of Internet Explorer:

Internet Explorer 5/6:

The Oleaut32.dll file is located in the Mdac_ie5.cab file in Internet Explorer version 5.
For Internet Explorer 6, you will need to obtain a copy of the file from an older version of Internet Explorer.
Windows 95/98: If the Internet Explorer .cab files are unavailable, or if extracting the Internet Explorer version of the Oleaut32.dll file does not work, you may be able to resolve the issue by extracting the Windows version of the file, from the Windows installation disk or .cab files.

For Windows 95, the Oleaut32.dll file is located in the Win95_09.cab file on the Windows 95 CD-ROM.

For Windows 98, you can extract / replace this file by using the SFC utility.

Reboot Computer and test.

Step 3

Download and run the following file:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/msninvestor/Patch/1.0/WIN98/EN-US/mcrepair.EXE

Step 4

Read MS article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281679

today is Feb 16th, 2004 - i encountered this problem this afternoon when a program i was installing crashed. i used Step 1 in the above mentioned fixes, and it seems to have worked. Thank you,

~Reinkster

Skoundrel,

Step 2 worked for me, you are L33t man.. this IE prob has been bugging me for the longest time. Thanks!

JC

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.