Hello,

I am only 15, and I want to get into server 2003, I have created a domain with DNS and I have created users, and when the server is turned of I can still log in, so when I asked my freind he said turn of the interactive login: caching, so I set it to zero but when i create a user I cant login that great but if I ave already logged in I can login again.

So I investigated more! when I went to my documents and settings, the user was there as if it was a normal user, I was interested to learn roaming (is that where the profile is on the server?) so when im on my lappy I can access the same account as if i was on my pc and I dont want to be able to log on if the server is turned off.

ALSO :D I want to be able to turn everything off for a group In AD like cd drive and installing and downloading stuff like that and not to access the control panel, i got the idea from school and I want to lock down everything for a user, and could u do a romaing profile for one user and then a mandatory profile for another group fo users e.g standard users have a locked out normal profile that if they try and do anything it wont be saved or they cant do it,

If im not making sense then tell me :P I hope this can be done,

ALSO :P :P do you have to do netsend from the server itslef or can u do it logged into a domain user becasue when i was logged in on a client pc i could not send a message so would it have to go trhough the server, and how can I remotly view a user without them knowing. whos logged in

Thank you
Bondi

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

1. if server is unavailable, it doesn't mean users cannot log on locally.
2. for good policy management, get GPMC from MS downloads
3. roaming is simple. just google for it, there's a good tutorial on petri.co.il
4. net send is not supposed to work in a normal network - too much spam. if you want it to work enable the messenger service

How do I enable the messenger service?

and I don't me login locally like e.g (PC1-This Computer)
Just say if the server is turned off non of the users on AD can login

and once I got messenger service running do i just type net send home message here

home is my domain

If you could show me how to stop people from logging it it would be apreiciated

How do I enable the messenger service?

start>run<services.msc - find the messenger service and start it

and I don't me login locally like e.g (PC1-This Computer)
Just say if the server is turned off non of the users on AD can login

it should work that way with roaming profiles. are you sure the workstations are XPpro?

and once I got messenger service running do i just type net send home message here

type net send /? you you will see the syntax

home is my domain ?

is it?

If you could show me how to stop people from logging it it would be apreiciated

the best way to learn the whole thing is to grab an MCSE book and start going through the steps. most probably no questions will be left after a while

I'm getting the book on Monday :D

One more question

Does roaming profiles save the profile on the server?
so if the profile is saved on the server you obviously cant login if it cant get the profile

Is this right?

that's right. but there are other ways of verifying the login. roaming profiles is not a very good thing, especially if you work a lot. transferring several GBs of data over a wifi link in a hotel is not exactly what I would call pleasure

Well when I get this book I would learn some stuff.

Cheers dude!

no probs. do get into reading the more famous sites for MCSE2003 - like petri.co.il, msexchange.org and the likes

Ok I tried to setup up roaming profiles it works but it still saves a profile to the C drive but I want it to run of the server when the server is off people cannot log into their profile, any ideas?

you must have a cache locally

what does that mean can I make it how I want it if so, how?

I don't have a 2003 server in front of me at home, but you can try this new wonderful thing called google

Hehe I will do thank you anyway and cheers for the fast response :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.