My computer's motherboard got toasted so I replaced it with new one.
Everything is still attached just like before. The hard disc(with windows XP installed), CDROM, same 1gb DDR RAM(checked the new motherboard's compatibility and it should work fine).. etc.

Now, whats interesting is that I checked CMOS setup and nothing was wrong.
USB support/legacy support, blah blah were all enabled.

Keyboard works before it loads Windows XP. I can navigate through CMOS setup and everything.
Once it loads Windows XP, it shows "please reactivate your windows because your system hardware has been heavily modified since last boot".
Thats when keyboard and mouse don't work. Im assuming something is going on between the windows and USB.

THEN, I decided to just re-install Windows XP, so I put in the good old GateWay recovery CD.
I went into CMOS setup again, made the computer to boot to CDROM before the hard drive.
Now, the computer reads the CD from the CDROM just fine, but I can't use the keyboard again once it reads it.

I have no friggin' idea what is going on. Somebody please help.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi

Maybe just maybe the copy of windows installed on ur machine was an OEM version. Now since you have changed the MOBO it would be void as it does not allow system critical changes such as Mobos, cpu etc. Now i think what u ll need is new drivers for the keyboard and mouse but that only once u ll be able to get ur windows working again, u know reactivate it and stuff. Its a pain in the de rierre and i wish i could have put it in more comforting words dude.

Is this a Gateway keyboard?
Try a standard keyboard, or a PS 2 keyboard.

My computer's motherboard got toasted so I replaced it with new one.
Everything is still attached just like before. The hard disc(with windows XP installed), CDROM, same 1gb DDR RAM(checked the new motherboard's compatibility and it should work fine).. etc.

Now, whats interesting is that I checked CMOS setup and nothing was wrong.
USB support/legacy support, blah blah were all enabled.

Keyboard works before it loads Windows XP. I can navigate through CMOS setup and everything.
Once it loads Windows XP, it shows "please reactivate your windows because your system hardware has been heavily modified since last boot". THIS IS NORMAL IF YOU MAKE SYSTEM WIDE CHANGES IN WINDOWS
Thats when keyboard and mouse don't work. Im assuming something is going on between the windows and USB. TRY USING A PS2 KEYBOARD, OR SWAP THE SLOTS BETWEEN THE KEYBOARD AND THE MOUSE.

THEN, I decided to just re-install Windows XP, so I put in the good old GateWay recovery CD.
I went into CMOS setup again, made the computer to boot to CDROM before the hard drive.
Now, the computer reads the CD from the CDROM just fine, but I can't use the keyboard again once it reads it.

I have no friggin' idea what is going on. Somebody please help.

TRY THE STEPS ON RED

Hi there, I have exactly the same problem and cannot work out what is wrong.

The mouse is fine, just the keyboard won't work once Windows starts.

I have tried 3 PS2 and a USB Keyboard but still nothing???

PLease Help!!!!

Hi there, I have exactly the same problem and cannot work out what is wrong.

so you changed to a new motherboard ,did you install chipset drivers and usb drivers for the new board

The mouse is fine, just the keyboard won't work once Windows starts.

so you can get around in windows with the mouse but the keyboard will not function correct .

I have tried 3 PS2 and a USB Keyboard but still nothing???
PLease Help!!!!

thats really weird ,one or the other should have worked ,especially on a new mother board .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.