i recently purchased a second hand laptop (HPnc6000) for myself to mess about with. It came with XP pre-installed and basic drivers etc. The first thing i did was check the memory and hard drive for any errors, so to stop wasting any-time installing all of my applications over again. The memory and hard drive showed no errors during testing so i proceeded to install the latest drivers from HP website, and with the use of drivermagic. AFter a short while i began to install my applications, firewall etc...After a restart i got the dreaded BSOD :'(. With not being 100% sure about the copy of XP on my machine i thought the best thing was to start from scratch and install my own copy of XP pro. After going through all the process over again, and sure enough the BSOD returned :@ I noticed that the last programme i installed was peerguardian 2, and i promptly uninstalled it. Upon restarting the lappy, i have had no problems ! In fact i am using it right now to type this problem. Is it possible that PG2 is causing my problem ?? I have looked around on this forum and noticed other people have has similar problems with PG2 Or am i barking up the wrong tree and its something else :$
my log is listed here...please note that PG2 is not installed :icon_confused:

StartupList report, 24/03/2008, 09:01:21
StartupList version: 1.52.2
Started from : C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.EXE
Detected: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Detected: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16608)
* Using default options
==================================================

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

--------------------------------------------------

Checking Windows NT UserInit:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
UserInit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

StartCCC = "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe"
nod32kui = "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
SmcService = C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
UIUCU = C:\DOCUME~1\CRAIG\LOCALS~1\Temp\UIUCU.EXE -CLEAN_UP
smapp = C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMTray.exe
SunJavaUpdateSched = "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

CTFMON.EXE = C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
MSMSGS = "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
swg = C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

Shell & screensaver key from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI:

Shell=*INI section not found*
SCRNSAVE.EXE=*INI section not found*
drivers=*INI section not found*

Shell & screensaver key from Registry:

Shell=Explorer.exe
SCRNSAVE.EXE=*Registry value not found*
drivers=*Registry value not found*

Policies Shell key:

HKCU\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry key not found*
HKLM\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*

Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:

(no name) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43}
(no name) - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7}
(no name) - C:\Program Files\Mininova\tbMini.dll - {f592709f-ff4a-4862-b659-4afabda56312}

Enumerating Download Program Files:

[WUWebControl Class]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuweb.dll
CODEBASE = http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1206300303954

[Java Plug-in 1.6.0_05]
InProcServer32 = C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll

[Shockwave Flash Object]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9e.ocx
CODEBASE = http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

Enumerating Windows NT logon/logoff scripts:
*No scripts set to run*

Windows NT checkdisk command:
BootExecute = autocheck autochk *

Windows NT 'Wininit.ini':
PendingFileRenameOperations: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash6.ocx||C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.911.3380\swgA78.tmp||C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.911.3380\GooA79.tmp||C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.911.3380\resA7A.tmp||C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.911.3380||C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier||C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll||C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.911.3380||C:\DOCUME~1\CRAIG\LOCALS~1\Temp\Google Toolbar\gtbA64.tmp.msp

Enumerating ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad items:

PostBootReminder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
CDBurn: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
WebCheck: C:\WINDOWS\system32\webcheck.dll
SysTray: C:\WINDOWS\system32\stobject.dll
WPDShServiceObj: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

End of report, 5,588 bytes
Report generated in 0.030 seconds

Command line options:
/verbose - to add additional info on each section
/complete - to include empty sections and unsuspicious data
/full - to include several rarely-important sections
/force9x - to include Win9x-only startups even if running on WinNT
/forcent - to include WinNT-only startups even if running on Win9x
/forceall - to include all Win9x and WinNT startups, regardless of platform
/history - to list version history only

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

it is quite obvious that PG2 is the problem, when you did the reinstall do you do a quick format or a standard format.

Thanks for a quick reply....i did a quick format, however this does not explain why it happened before i installed my own copy of XP. Maybe the person i purchased the lap-top from onlydid a quick format ????

seeing that the hard drive ahd data on it that you would never need you should have done a standard format. this will do a better job of cleaning the drive basically the quick format only semi clean , it's ;like wiping a car windshield and when it dries you still see the water marks. a standard format goes deeper. you should also run chkdsk on the drive to see if any area is in danger of going bad.

Excellent...your advice has confirmed to me that PG2 is causing the BSOD. Also your explanation of the quick and standard format is also good advice, Do you think that a new install of my copy of XP pro after a standard format will allow me to use peerguardian ? Or shall i just run chkdsk and if no errors are shown keep things as they are ?? After-all, i have spent all easter weekend just trying to get it running how i want it :D

this is where a auto install cd would be of great help. but for now run chkdsk /f it will tell you that it will run the next time the pc restart. restart the pc, if you need to read the log to know if there are any errors go to event viewer and click application then winlogon, the log will tell you if there are any errors on the disk.

Nice one, i shall give it a try. Not sure about this method as i have not checked a HDD this way before...going to give it a go now, i shall carry on with my desktop..:)

ok, ran that test..i cannot seem to find a tab that is marked winlogon. i have clicked on application and got a screen full of info, some with yellow exclamation marks by them..i have captured the screen image on my lappy, going to use that to see if i can post a image...BRB
OK I cannot see a function to upload a picture on here..is that not possible ????

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.