so yeah.. before i reformatted the comp, it was restarting a certain time even if i wasnt using it or not.. and/or freezing up.
idk what to do. and tbh, the CD that i used to reformat my comp is a burnt one.. so it's not genuine.. i was just wondering where i can get my own.. besides buying a new one =s

thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

You need to figure out what's causing the Freezing/Rebooting first.
Check for dust/dirt, fans not working, bad PSU.
If you're using Windows, you have to pay Mr. Gates, or switch to Linux for a free solution.

You can do a repare with the burnt XP cd. Just select repare at the first option when it asks you, dont repare on the second option otherwise you'll be installing XP again with the burnt CD. Also check your HDD, monitor your temp so it doesnt get too hot. Check ur RAM and motherboard.

okay thanks very much guys.
another question...
if i use a boot disk (floppy disk), would it still be the same as rebooting witha windows XP cd?
because i might just do that instead of repairing.

and ever since i rebooted my comp, i cant change the screen resolution and it's stuck on: 640 by 480, High Color, 16 bit...
but then i found a way to change it by going to properties>settings>advanced>adapter>list all modes. and whenever i change it to a different mode (ie 800 by 600, 256 colors), it looks like this... (the pic attachment).

if you could help me with this, thatd be great guys.
thanks a lot.

form rules ,no helping with bootleg copy of windows ,sorry
oh and the problem with the display is you don't have correct drivers installed for you video device.as for the floppy whats on it ,is it a winxp boot floppy ,and what are you going to boot to it for if you are not going to do a repair ! what are you booting to it for ! please explain youself.

i was just wondering where i can get my own.. besides buying a new one =s

you could beat up the little old lady down the lane, and steal hers .

sorry what did you mean by 'what am i going to boot to it for if i am not goin to repair'?
i dont quite understand what youre trying to say, but my answer is i just want to fix my windows to make it genuine.

and about the screen resolution that i have right now... before i reformatted my comp, the screen resolution was normal (probably like everyone elses which is not too big, and not too small). oh.. and i have no vid card?.. but lemme check again, i might have checked for the wrong slot.

When you reformat the drive, did you use quick format or standard. and at what stage does the computer freezes, as soon as it start, after a few minutes, when you try to run a program.

sorry what did you mean by 'what am i going to boot to it for if i am not goin to repair'?

if i use a boot disk (floppy disk), would it still be the same as rebooting witha windows XP cd?because i might just do that instead of repairing.

you were the one that said you wanted to boot to a floppy instead of the cd and doing a repair not me .

i dont quite understand what your trying to say, but my answer is i just want to fix my windows to make it genuine.

you will need to contact microsoft to buy a valid key to make it genuine

and about the screen resolution that i have right now... before i reformatted my comp, the screen resolution was normal (probably like everyone elses which is not too big, and not too small). oh.. and i have no vid card?.. but lemme check again, i might have checked for the wrong slot.

sounds like your video drivers need installing ,and the video card/controller is where the monitor pluggs in on the tower ,monitor wont display with out one .

woww lol.
i just looked on the side of the system unit casing like 5 minutes ago, and saw the product key!
but one question... this comp was normally a windows xp HOME EDITION. if i use a windows xp PROF EDITION CD-ROM, can i enter my product key?? or do i need to use a windows xp HOME edition CD-ROM??

thanks guys.
this will be the solution to most of my problems. hehe.

no you will not be able to use Home edition key on a pro version and vise versa

woww lol.
do i need to use a windows xp HOME edition CD-ROM??

yes

okayy thanks!
guess i'll have to find a windows home edition cd then.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.