I have a Dell Dimension 9100 that wont boot. When I boot to the restore CD it goes along until it gets to the page where you could repair or reinstall windows. Up to that point the keyboard works. As soon as it gets to that page the keyboard stops working and the numlock light goes out. Of course Dell decided not to put anything as useful as a PS/2 port on this computer so I only have USB ports to deal with.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Can you run the Dell Diagnostics?
Have you checked the diagnostic lights?
Any error messages?
Your HD may be dead.

update your bios

i needed a bios update for vista upgrade to detect the usb keyboard on my dimension e510

when flashing the BIOS ensure that you follow the instruuctions exactly

If I let it try to boot by itself I get the error message described above. It has Norton Goback on it, but the same thing happens no matter how far I go back.
I've tried 2 different USB keyboards and a PS/2 keyboard through a USB adapter and the same thing happens.
I tried to flash the BIOS, but no matter what floppy I put in it list garbled characters when I dir, even when I can see the file is on the floppy using another computer. No error lights.
Hard drives are both spinning when it powers up.

ok you may have a virus or malware

if you have no other option you might need to reset the computer back to factory defaults.

restart the computer and press Ctrl and F11 at the same time when the computer starts to boot this should bring up the pc restore tool. follow the directions on the screen and it will reset your computer.

ok you may have a virus or malware

if you have no other option you might need to reset the computer back to factory defaults.

restart the computer and press Ctrl and F11 at the same time when the computer starts to boot this should bring up the pc restore tool. follow the directions on the screen and it will reset your computer.

The poster is trying to do a recovery !!! and there keyboard will not work when needed !
Im self taught ,and been fixing computer for about 10 yrs now,and im learning everyday so ,please tell me how a virus or malware is going to stop the keyboard from working when windows isn't even running .and don't say boot sector virus .

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 that wont boot. When I boot to the restore CD it goes along until it gets to the page where you could repair or reinstall windows. Up to that point the keyboard works. As soon as it gets to that page the keyboard stops working and the numlock light goes out. Of course Dell decided not to put anything as useful as a PS/2 port on this computer so I only have USB ports to deal with.

can you boot into the bios ,and check to make sure its set for legacy usb devices ,

If I let it try to boot by itself I get the error message described above. It has Norton Goback on it, but the same thing happens no matter how far I go back.

ok it was late and I wasn't thinking as clearly as I should have been, the quote above is what lead me to believe there may be a virus involved.

ok it was late and I wasn't thinking as clearly as I should have been, the quote above is what lead me to believe there may be a virus involved.

been there done that! and when i read what you read over and over ,i now see why you come to a virus conclusion ,you maybe right .

I finally got SATA drive adapter and hooked the drives up to another system. One drive was totally dead, I believe this was the boot drive. The other drive had a partition on it and was formatted, but it was completely empty. Of course the person who own's this computer can't tell me if they actually had anything on the second drive. I'm guessing Dell upsold them on a second drive and they never used it. I still have to try to reinstall the OS and see if I still have that keyboard issue.

Gotta love Dell,And I come across so many people who have no idea how to use there second HD drive .

Gotta love Dell,And I come across so many people who have no idea how to use there second HD drive .

I'm not sure we can blame Dell.
Probably the same people who don't know how to use the first drive.:)

I'm not sure we can blame Dell.
Probably the same people who don't know how to use the first drive.:)

LOL.

Reinstalled XP Home, updates, utilities and Dell drivers. Had some flaky video issues and took about 2 minutes to boot. Narrowed them down to the Dell drivers. Dumped the Dell video driver in favor of one from ATI's site. After some further optimizations it is now stable and boots to the desktop in <30 seconds. Now to give it back to the owner so they can hose it up.

yeah never ever use the dell video drivers, they are so old.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.