Hi
I have a file home movie file which is supposed to be an AVI file but it has the word esoteric in it. I tried to view it with all the usual windows XP stuff like real player and windows media player but all i see is a black screen. Is there any way I can convert this file to an ordinary .AVI file or something else so as to be able to watch it on my PC

I have a home movie file which is supposed to be an AVI file but it has the word esoteric in it. I tried to view it with all the usual windows XP stuff like real player and windows media player but all i see is a black screen. Is there any way I can convert this file to an ordinary .AVI file or something else so as to be able to watch it on my PC

This is probably a DiVX file, an MPEG-4 variant. Apple QuickTime or WinAmp 5 (preferred) should be able to play it. You can also search for a DiVX-compatible codec for WMP. The "free" version of the "official" DiVX player is adware and not recommended.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.