Member Avatar for Brifjavier

PC won't shut down, keeps restarting

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

PC won't shut down, keeps restarting

Im sure you could add a bit more info so we can try and help you ,when did it start , how are you shutting it down .with the start /shutdown option or with the Case front power on/off button

Member Avatar for Brifjavier

Im sure you could add a bit more info so we can try and help you ,when did it start , how are you shutting it down .with the start /shutdown option or with the Case front power on/off button

Sorry,it all started a few days ago when i installed some program that I allready uninstalled, then I run another program: Advanced Windows care v2 to clean up temp files and defrag my HD, when I try to restart the PC via the normal mode: START-TURN OFF COMPUTER-TURN OFF, it goes into saving your settings and everything but instead of turning off it just reboots again so I have to press and hold the power button to turn it off .

ok ,when in windows go to mycomputer ,right click on the harddrive icon and go to properties/tools ,and run the disk check ,check it off to fix all errors and then reboot computer to run the check

Run
Chkdsk /F C:
It will prompt you with a message Y/N to check drives at next start up "Y"
shutdown becausem as you know, it will restart itself.

At start up a screen appears. Let it run and watch what it does. It takes about 2 minutes.
At desktop, Start > Shutdown .

If the problem is not resolved, I have other solutions (I just haven't thought of them yet!).

not the same problem ,in my opinion

If not the same problem, some stunningly parallel characteristics. Under the heading of "Windows XP Shut Down and Automatic Reboot Problems", here is a statement of the problem the Microsoft Help and Support site was addressing:
"I am running Windows XP Professional and it absolutely refuses to shut down. Every time I tell it to shut down it goes through the motions, but when it gets to the point to turn off the machine, the BIOS screen comes up and the machine reboots." That is the problem I was experiencing. (How is that different from this thread?)

The straightforward solution was:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect. At this point all you have achieved is a clean shutdown, power off, no automatic reboot. Assuming the automatic reboot happened as a result of an error in the shutdown sequence, then you still have a problem, and there could be multiple causes. But that's a different problem. The next step would be to examine the error log an learn what sent the shutdown sequence into a tailspin. Even without disabling the automatic restart, one could look at the error log and deal with the underlying issue. Probably should anyway. But if you really need to get the PC into a POWER OFF state without actually pulling the plug, the above fix should be useful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.