I have 3 win2000 boxes and my main one has the broadband connection. In it I have two network cards in which the main card is set up for IP sharing. It passes the goods over to the second card and out to the second box. They now both have Internet. In the second box I also have 2 network cards and I was trying to pas the connection over to the third box..(daisy chaining). For some reason it does not want to work with win2000. When I had winXP on the second box it worked like magic! (Network Bridging). What gives?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I've tried doing this once too in windows xp, with no problems. I never attempted it in windows 2000 - I don't even know if network bridging is built into win2k, sorry I can't offer more help

Do you have an endless supply of network cards or what.I called one of my network admin buddies and he said somthing about having the exact brand and model of cards will somtimes cause conflicts
Hope this helps

Buy a cheap hub they are like 30 bucks.
put the cable or dsl into the first pc than on the second network card
run it to the hub and then connect the other pcs to the hub.

dvr, good idea - I used to have my computer set up this way when I had my USB cable modem (which couldn't be directly connected to my network). You'd still be using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

You'd still be using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).[b/]

ICS SUKS.....

put the cable or dsl into the first pc than on the second network card
run it to the hub and then connect the other pcs to the hub.

I would suggest a switch over a hub and they're about the same cost.
hubs are what we call stupid hardware meaning they dont do anything special to the signal.
switches on the other hand can speed up bandwith by controling it and other features

yes a router is better than a hub, but a hub is cheaper.
and he was trying to cut costs.
me personally would get a router. :)

yes a router is better than a hub, but a hub is cheaper
and he was trying to cut costs.

If you read my post I say switch theres a difference and theyre about the same cost if you get the 4port switch

The linksys switch shown above is 30 bucks

If you read my post I say switch theres a difference and theyre about the same cost if you get the 4port switch

The linksys switch shown above is 30 bucks

It's doubtful that you'll find a 16-port wired Linksys switch for 30 bucks. :)

Couldnt find picture with 5 lines of lights, keen eye though slick If you notice I say 4 port I see your still harpin like the common post whore

I admire you............... really

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.