I just got a comp from Ibuypower.com, from installation i have had odd graphics problems where when i am playing World of Warcraft all the colors change, weird patterns appear and the such, i also have my driver up to date but who knows. I am also getting the blue screen of death multiple time a day. I think i did a RAM diagnostic or soemthing(no idea where or how i did it) but i remember it said something about my RAM isnt working properly. my comp is
-windows xp, home edition version 2002 service pack 3
-intel core 2 duo E6550 @ 2.33ghz
-2gb of RAM
-9600gt nvidia

also i have the option of installing vista if needed, but i hear it's a pos. Thank you for any help and just ask and i can provide more information about my comp.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Vista is a no no in my personal and professional opinions. But thats your decision to make.

As far as your issue with the BSOD.
its not really the BSOD. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to access your PC anymore.

Here are your options for solving this as I just went through this problem with my girlfriends computer and the wonderfully obsessive world of WOW.

Option 1 -
Open your control panel --> System --> Advanced tab --> Performance Settings --> Advanced tab --> Virtual Memory "change" --> enter a maximum size that is about another 1k more than what you have.

Option 2 -
Your Hard Drive is having issues:
Reccommended Fix:
Click Start --> My Computer --> RIGHT click the C: drive --> Properties --> Tools tab --> Error Checking --> click check now.
This should either restart your computer
or request that it be restarted.
Once it begins to restart a blue screen will appear and begin checking the HDD.

When this finishes i reccommend you complete a disk cleanup and defrag
both are found here
Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools

If this does not solve your problem.
(it did for my girlfriends laptop)

Option 3 -
Your HDD, MotherBoard, and/or RAMM
is bad.

Fixes HDD: new HDD
Fixes MotherBoard: New MotherBoard
Fixes RAMM: new ramm but chances are the problem is due to the ramm slots on the motherboard therefore actually being a problem with the motherboard.

Best option: find a friend... one you don't like preferably if they are also a gamer.
Sell the PC to him
or go to a pawn shop... you'll get from $150 - $250.

Now purchase a new machine.
Preferably not from the same retailer.

If you are really into WOW and/or other games i reccommend 1 of the 2 following
have a PC custome built for you by a local shop (if they supply a warrenty on parts and the machine as a whole) or 2 get a known name brand Alienware, dell, HP, Sony.... ect...

Hope this helps.

btw after a whole bunch more time searching around, i finnaly went and did a hardware check, i pulled out 1 of my gigs of ram, same shit happened. i put in the other gig of ram replacing the one that was in, start up my comp and... 100% perfection. i then tried the suspected faulty pos ram by putting it back in slot 2... blue screen of death within minutes of the comp starting. so now im talking to ibuypower about there pos ram that they sent me on my new comp. ty for ur help.
btw in all this it really help u understand your computer when you are forced to research problems urself, i found that faulty ram cuasses just about every error from other components/drivers to crash which seem to be the problem. misleading to the root of the problem cuased me to troubleshoot for 3 weeks.

btw after a whole bunch more time searching around, i finnaly went and did a hardware check, i pulled out 1 of my gigs of ram, same shit happened. i put in the other gig of ram replacing the one that was in, start up my comp and... 100% perfection. i then tried the suspected faulty pos ram by putting it back in slot 2... blue screen of death within minutes of the comp starting. so now im talking to ibuypower about there pos ram that they sent me on my new comp. ty for ur help.
btw in all this it really help u understand your computer when you are forced to research problems urself, i found that faulty ram cuasses just about every error from other components/drivers to crash which seem to be the problem. misleading to the root of the problem cuased me to troubleshoot for 3 weeks.

tell me about it...sometimes exciting and sometimes Really frustrating

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.