Hi all it's my first post , and I have a bit of a problem with getting my desktop area to change from 640 by 480 pixels to 800 by 600 pixels! It was working just fine yesterday and my wife wanted to change the settings to make the screen more easy to read. Well I changed the setting to 640 by 480 and discovered it was too big and I would need to use scroll bars to move the screen from side to side , so I went to change it back to 800 by 600 and when I click on the arrow in "desktop area" nothing happens. Now I cannot change this setting , I have been trying for 2 days to get this figured out and to no avail.
Could someone please help me with this!!!! : confused:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Sorry I should have included that I am running Win 98 and the video card and driver are ATI 3D ragepro.

Hi all it's my first post , and I have a bit of a problem with getting my desktop area to change from 640 by 480 pixels to 800 by 600 pixels! It was working just fine yesterday and my wife wanted to change the settings to make the screen more easy to read. Well I changed the setting to 640 by 480 and discovered it was too big and I would need to use scroll bars to move the screen from side to side , so I went to change it back to 800 by 600 and when I click on the arrow in "desktop area" nothing happens. Now I cannot change this setting , I have been trying for 2 days to get this figured out and to no avail.
Could someone please help me with this!!!! : confused:

Let's just be sure what it is you're doing first, shall we? Make sure you're doing it this way.

Shut down all programs, or use the 'Show Desktop' icon in the 'Quick Launch' area of the Toolbar.

Right-click on an empty spot on your Desktop display and choose 'Properties' from the pop-up menu.

Click on the 'Settings' tab and try to move the slider to change the desktop resolution.

Is that what you're doing and does it work? If not, on the Settings Tab you should have an image of a computer monitor with details printed underneath indicating type of monitor and display card. what does it say?

Thanks Catweazle , and I did what you said and I still cannot change the setting. The monitor information is "Generic television on XPERT 98 AGP 2X" this is what is shown under the picture of the monitor in the settings tab!

OK, Right-click 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'. In 'Device manager, find the entry for the monitor, right-click it and choose 'Uninstall' or 'Remove' or whatever the option is.

Then reboot, and see if the monitor is detected correctly. As it's currently set the way it is, you're unable to use display resolutions that are not appropriate to such a device.

Thanks Catweazle it worked and I have got everything set the way I want it!!

Great fourm!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.