Hey everybody. I'm new here so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but bear with me :) I have a Windows XP and every time I try to open a Internet Explorer link, whether it be on the Desktop or in the Programs menu, ect., the window won't open. There's no alert that there's a problem, the link just won't open. The only way I can open the internet is by going to my email and clicking on a link from one of the emails to go to a website. My browser works fine, but it's very frustrating. Some minor notes maybe to consider: When I one of the links, the start panel (hmm how do I put this?) flickers as if it's going to open the window, but then it just....stops, and nothing happens. I've also tried right-clicking the link and opening it there, but the same situation happens. Shortcuts to the Explorer won't work either, and neither will using the Run option. Also, if I try to open explorer through anything else, say, opening something with Explorer, it does the same thing. I think that's about all I can think of, so anybody have help...?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

If you're using a pop up blocker try disabling it. Have you installed Service Pack 2? You can check by clicking Start-->Run-->and then type Winver and click ok...this will tell you the level of service pack installed.

Wow thanks LOL Just turning off the pop-up blocker worked. Boy do I feel silly :o

Right click on internet explorer and then click on properties. After that click on the Advanced Tab and then under Browsing uncheck the following option : Enable third party browser extension.

If that does not work then try doing a system restore to a back date

Hey everybody. I'm new here so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but bear with me :) I have a Windows XP and every time I try to open a Internet Explorer link, whether it be on the Desktop or in the Programs menu, ect., the window won't open. There's no alert that there's a problem, the link just won't open. The only way I can open the internet is by going to my email and clicking on a link from one of the emails to go to a website. My browser works fine, but it's very frustrating. Some minor notes maybe to consider: When I one of the links, the start panel (hmm how do I put this?) flickers as if it's going to open the window, but then it just....stops, and nothing happens. I've also tried right-clicking the link and opening it there, but the same situation happens. Shortcuts to the Explorer won't work either, and neither will using the Run option. Also, if I try to open explorer through anything else, say, opening something with Explorer, it does the same thing. I think that's about all I can think of, so anybody have help...?

i have this same problem, my pop up blocker wasnt the problem and i ran virus and spyware progs and still nothing, i also have this annoying ass bar on my IE that is called hotsearchbar.com i cant get it all the way out, it seems since i last formatted i had silly spyware that i cant friggin get rid of or i get rid of it and it comes right back. but this is annoying no matter how i try to open IE it wont opene unless i click a link from mail or something else what can i do besides what was said already? i really dont wanna format but i will if i have 2

Try Repairing Windows XP that will most probably solve your problem.

sometimes spy bot search and destroy is the culprit. a tad shoddy these days in its programming. delete and see what happens if you have it.

Right click on internet explorer and then click on properties. After that click on the Advanced Tab and then under Browsing uncheck the following option : Enable third party browser extension.

If that does not work then try doing a system restore to a back date

System Restore did not work but disabling third party browser extension did many thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.