turn on the puter...get a black screen with a blinking dash in the upper left hand corner.

then a message about hall being missing or corrupt and to reinstall it...

my o/s is legit and i tried to use recovery console.. it starts to check the system configurations and hangs...will not go any further, even in safe mode.

yet at reboot, if i don't press a key to start things and let it go, it will load and work...

how do i reinstall hall?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

sorry, this doens't help much...

i loaded ubuntu got the system back up, loaded the windows xp pro cd, and finally got to the recovery console, did the fixmbr and fixboot, it said it was done successfully, but still wouldn't boot...so i took out all the partitions and refortmatted everything with a valid xp disc and yet still, i cannot boot WITHOUT the windows disk.. it still says the hal.dll is missing...

Member Avatar for willis100

Sounds like to me that your reformat didn't reformat. If you reformat and install xp, It creates a new hal.dll (hardware application layer) I would try it again deleting partician and creating another ntfs partician. Make sure you don't have any flash drives connected when you install windows....good luck!

Sounds like to me that your reformat didn't reformat. If you reformat and install xp, It creates a new hal.dll (hardware application layer) I would try it again deleting partician and creating another ntfs partician. Make sure you don't have any flash drives connected when you install windows....good luck!

thanks,

when i reinstalled the imbuntu...i watched as it says it is installing its hal layer, and yet, even with the imbuntu installed and updated, nothing boots without the disc in the cd....at this point its the only way i can get things to work and get on the net..

am goin to try to in stall the windows again, wiping out all partitions , if it doens't work this time, am just gonna get a new harddrive...

well...had a long talk with my teacher...am a new A+ tech, and finding out how much i still don't know lol...so... if this helps down the road for anyone else...

if you can't go to another computer and copy the file and replace it on your own or go into recovery yes its the hard drive...i have to replace it.

i muttered "some days i wonder how i can call myself a tech"

he replied, i've done this for several years,...don 't be do hard on yourself...at least you are coming in here on your summer vacation and keeping your chops up..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.