I saw a few posts similar to this in this forum.I tried most of the solutions given there but still couldn't solve my problem.
I'm running XP Professional on my laptop and desktop.Both are connected to internet using the same connection through lan.The problem is that I can't access some sites on my laptop while there is no problem whatsoever on the desktop.I tried disabling the firewall,running in safemode,using opendns,different browsers like IE7,Firefox,Opera etc but no use.Plzz help.
Some of the sites I cant access are microsoft.com,download.com.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Have you tried fiddling withthe settigs in the internet options to see if they let you access the sites?

What does the error message say when you try to access them?

Raj

Try to open these sites with tinyurl.com if sites opened then there is a problem from your ISP side. Otherwise if running in Laptop but not in Desktop then you have to either check third party software/Firewall or browsers restricted sites zone area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A leading web and Application Development company, India (An ISO 9001:2000 company)

have you ever had any previous firewalls installed?

Have you tried fiddling withthe settigs in the internet options to see if they let you access the sites?

What does the error message say when you try to access them?

Raj

There is nothing wrong with the internet options i suppose..
There is no error message shown..When i type the url, the status bar shows "Waiting for blahblah.com" and there's this blank screen where nothing shows up.As I told this problem is with certaqin sites only.
Actually the problem is worse now.I can't even access this forum from my laptop(which i was able earlier when i posted the first time)..

have you ever had any previous firewalls installed?

i had kaspersky firewall earlier,but currently disabled it.

Have you tried to scan your laptop for any possible infection? ALso would be advisable if you could have alook at the windows firewall as well mate.

Raj

Have you tried to scan your laptop for any possible infection? ALso would be advisable if you could have alook at the windows firewall as well mate.

Raj

well i scanned with the latest updates of kaspersky and found nothing.also tried disabling windows firewall.still hopeless:(

Have you checked your hosts file?
It is located in WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and can be opened with notepad. it should just have a couple of entries in it.

And you could check for any proxy settings set up on your computer.

Try uninstalling kaspersky completely, i have had problems with previous firewalls, particulary norton which i thought was not enabled but after uninstalling worked fine. When you tried firefox did you import any settings from internet explorer? Also run tracert on the specific sites that you cant access and see if there is a certain point at which it stops.

What type of sites are they are they http, or https?

sorted out the problem guys..the mtu value was changed to 1492.set it back to 1452 and no more problems.can some application cause this change coz i dont remember playing with this value?
anyway thanks for ur replies.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.