Well over time my cpu has slowed down and I have followed all of the cleaning and virus/maleware/trojen cleanup procedures and I am clean as a whistle, but I have a very slow boot up. My question is, can I just reinstall windows and not loose any files or important stuff and would this be the fix for my problem? Question 2.... Is there any thing else I should do since I have done the intense clean to help this problem?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

you will lose you files unless you back them up then you will have to reinstall any program you have on your computer. have you tried to defrag your computer clean the prefetch and temp floders, internet history and registry.

hi
*for Q1:
you can simply Repair winxp without losing any data by:
1.boot from winxp cd
2.the first window will ask you to repair, don't choose the first (repair) choise
choose the (install) option
3.from the second screen you could safely choose (repair) choise, then follow the instruction
the all progress will take about an hour from you

good luck,
Liana

hi
*for Q1:
you can simply Repair winxp without losing any data by:
1.boot from winxp cd
2.the first window will ask you to repair, don't choose the first (repair) choise
choose the (install) option
3.from the second screen you could safely choose (repair) choise, then follow the instruction
the all progress will take about an hour from you

good luck,
Liana

isn't this a little evasive for a computer that just might need to delete some files.
so how exactly do you repair xp with the xp cd anyway. Please don't just say the recovery console, please explain the process and what does it do.

isn't this a little evasive for a computer that just might need to delete some files.
so how exactly do you repair xp with the xp cd anyway. Please don't just say the recovery console, please explain the process and what does it do.

Repair is a valid and often very helpful procedure that is explained here:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

There are some suggestions for slow boot problems here:
http://www.softpanorama.org/Windows/startup_and_shutdown.shtml

I didn't mean for it to sound like if it was invalid or not helpful. I know it is. but wouldn't you want to investigate a little first. like checking msconfig and disabling unneeded programs at start up and deleting history and cookies, defraging maybe even do a boot time defrag, run some utilitie to repair the registry, deleting files in the prefetch and temp directories.

sometimes doing stuff like that is all you need to do to speed up your computer.

if there's nothing wrong with the installation I don't see a need to repair it unless the computer is still slow after a clean up like that.

I agree with you. If this was my computer, I'd investigate the link I noted.

Good moorninig,

I hope the problem was solved, But anyway to repair WinXp without losing any files, follow the following steps:
1. buy a winxp cd ( not the recovery console cd which encloded in your PC backage ).
2. turn on your PC and put the winxp cd
3. the Operating System will ask you to "press any Key to Boot from CD"
4. press "Enter" or any key
5. a blue screen will appear to you "winxp setup"
6. when you asked to "repair windows choose INSTALL"
7. when you asked to repair windows from the second screen choose "R" to repair windows then follow the setup instruction

I didn't say that will solve Mr.SillyBilly PC's problem but I just answerd the question regarding winxp repair from my own experience when I have tried this solution many times on several PC's and I didn't lose any of my files.

but if I were you I would like try these solutions beside BACKUP all my important files to external storage or at lease to any hard disk partition except (C partition).

1. as Mr.compdoc say you could [disk defragment (start->accessories->system tools)] and delete *.tmp.
2. update your anti-virus by the last virsion of virus definition.
3. full system scan.
4. delete the shortcuts in the start-up folder.
5. try to move the icons from your desktop to another hard disk parition.
6. if you are connected to LAN try to log on by another user account and un-plug the network cable then compare the performance, if it was better when you are disconnected from the network; you must contact your network administrator about the problem.
7. check the CPU fan, if it's not worked well ( open the CASE and clean it by "cold air" ) or replace the fan.
8. try to buy extra RAM.

I hope it was useful.

have a nice day.
Liana.

I have tried every thing, but just a couple of questions if I may, is there supposed to be a desktop.ini file in documents and settings and under every user in every folder?also, this out of " E:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows" and is also in every user in docs and settings>>>

regfþ þ ¶D1FðáÈ \ M i c r o s o f t \ W i n d o w s \ u s r c l a s s . d a t -ж!DIRTÿ fá\ D e v i c e \ H a r d d i s k V o l u m e 3 \ D o c u m e n t s a n d S e t t i n g s \ L o c a l S e r v i c e \ L o c a l S e t t i n g s \ A p p l i c a t i o n D a t a \ M i c r o s o f t \ W i n d o w s \ U s r C l a s s . d a t

There is a usrclass.dat along with UsrClass.dat.LOG.
Just seeing some odd named folders with wierd text, but all scans come up clean. Still slow boot up. Here is what I am working with,

Tower
CASECOOLERMASMaster

Power Supply
PSU OCZ|OCZ700GXSSLI 700W

MotherBoard
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe

Processor
AMD|A64 X2 6000 3.0G AM2 2x1M R 1
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
Speed: 3.37 MHz
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
Speed: 3.37 MHz

Memory
x2=1G|OCZ DII800 OCZ2P800R22GK
Brand OCZ Series Platinum Revision 2 Model OCZ2P800R22GK Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Tech Spec Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB) Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Cas Latency 4 Timing 4-4-4-15 Voltage 1.9V - 2.1V Heat Spreader Yes Features Platinum Mirrored XTC Heatspreader
ATI CrossFire Certified
OCZ Enhanced Latency Technology Recommend Use High Performance or Gaming Memory

Video
x2=VGA EVGA 7600GT 256mb
Sound

E-MU USB AUDIO INTFCE

Monitor
Gateway VX720

Operating system
Windows XP Service Pack 3

I thank every one for trying to help me!!!

(thanks for the reply Liana.)

the desktop.ini files and probably the other files you see that seem strange are hidden files. open my computer click on tools>folder options>view

then scroll down to hidden files and folders click on do not show hidden files and folders and check the box that says hide protected operating system files(Recommended)

OK, now, are you absolutely sure the computer is clean. have you tried spybot search and destroy or tried to post aHighjack this log in the virus forum to make absolutely sure.

you can also try Ultimate Defrag its not free($40. US) but its a really good defrag tool. it can do a lot more than the default defrag tool that comes with windows.

also make sure to disable any software that starts at start up if it is unneeded.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.