I haven't had this problem w/ XP or 98 os. Usually I am able to resolve about 85% of my OS problems but this has stumped me. When I type in Vista even in Word Pad or the addres bar I run into this problem. I'll type in the adress bar and while i'm typing the characters for example www.abcnews.com, while i'm typing the c in abc the cursor will jump to a causing this.
cabc. Also, i'll type a paragraph and the cursor will jump to the previous paragraph and start somewhere in that program. I'm thinking maybe there is some program on my pc causing this like a virus. Also, i've reformatted my hardrive and reinstalled my vista a couple of times. Has anyone had this problem with Vista? What was the corrective action?

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

are you using an optical mouse? i had one that kept jumping around the screen.

no, i have not installed a mouse.

no, i have not installed a mouse.

hi tekkie
Initially i thought it was laptop problen, then i saw you wrote PC. Sometimes the laptop mousepad drivers need to be updated, or they do weird things. SInce you wrote you haven't installed a mouse, does that mean you meant laptop? trying covering it/disabling it while you type and see if that solves the problem.

hope this helps, good luck

thanks for your reply,
I'm using a laptop the problem is not w/ the mouse pad. When i type sometimes the cursor will jump a couple of line up to a random location. Kind of frustrating when coding.. no very aggravating causes typo bugs. Maybe I'm being paranoid it could be a program like a virus causing this? Or maybe i need to replace the keyboard?

hi,
apparently if the mouse sensitivity is set to high, pressing the keys can cause the cursor to jump. you can fix this in control panel->mouse. You could also try hiding the cursor when you type(pointer options tab).
do you have a trackstick? if so, have you tried disabling it?

I can't think of anything else other than as you said, a hardware issue. Have you tried a usb keyboard?
Have you tried running your antivirus in safe mode?

btw i found this, it may help;
http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/

I have the same problem. Please let me know if you found a solution. Thank you very much.
I have a Gateway laptop MX6454 with a USB mouse. I never had this problem with XP but since I upgraded to Vista am having this problem.

I haven't had this problem w/ XP or 98 os. Usually I am able to resolve about 85% of my OS problems but this has stumped me. When I type in Vista even in Word Pad or the addres bar I run into this problem. I'll type in the adress bar and while i'm typing the characters for example www.abcnews.com, while i'm typing the c in abc the cursor will jump to a causing this.
cabc. Also, i'll type a paragraph and the cursor will jump to the previous paragraph and start somewhere in that program. I'm thinking maybe there is some program on my pc causing this like a virus. Also, i've reformatted my hardrive and reinstalled my vista a couple of times. Has anyone had this problem with Vista? What was the corrective action?

I have an Acer with Vista Ultimate and have had the same problem even with vista basic
The last couple days I have tryed differant versions Apls drivers / software always going back to the 7.0.1101.17 I have tryed every possable setting there is in the control pnl.
Nothing works. Keeping the cursor completely as far to the side of the typing area helps
and you have the least trouble. I was convenced it was Acer defect untill I come to this site.
It drives you nuts. I was thinking of using a mouse but seems that they are haveing same problem. Here is a ssolution that would work maybe, keeping the cursor to the far side works good but if your palm of your hand touches the touch pad while you are typing it moves the cursor back into the type and there you go again problem. Keep your hands inthe air and not touch the pad and no problem. If there was a sensitivity adjustment on the Alps control pnl thaat would stop it. My question is,can I install another touch pad software
that has sensitivity adjustment and fixthe problem? In the mean time move the coursor to the right out of the way of typing and do not touch the Pad and you can get by.
bellbiv21@yahoo.com

I have an Acer with Vista Ultimate and have had the same problem even with vista basic
The last couple days I have tryed differant versions Apls drivers / software always going back to the 7.0.1101.17 I have tryed every possable setting there is in the control pnl.
Nothing works. Keeping the cursor completely as far to the side of the typing area helps
and you have the least trouble. I was convenced it was Acer defect untill I come to this site.
It drives you nuts. I was thinking of using a mouse but seems that they are haveing same problem. Here is a ssolution that would work maybe, keeping the cursor to the far side works good but if your palm of your hand touches the touch pad while you are typing it moves the cursor back into the type and there you go again problem. Keep your hands inthe air and not touch the pad and no problem. If there was a sensitivity adjustment on the Alps control pnl thaat would stop it. My question is,can I install another touch pad software
that has sensitivity adjustment and fixthe problem? In the mean time move the coursor to the right out of the way of typing and do not touch the Pad and you can get by.
bellbiv21@yahoo.com

I have a Dell XPSM140 and it started with Vista. It is driving me crazy and really slowing my work Super Guys Please Come To The Rescue. HELP..............

hi,
apparently if the mouse sensitivity is set to high, pressing the keys can cause the cursor to jump. you can fix this in control panel->mouse. You could also try hiding the cursor when you type(pointer options tab).
do you have a trackstick? if so, have you tried disabling it?

I can't think of anything else other than as you said, a hardware issue. Have you tried a usb keyboard?
Have you tried running your antivirus in safe mode?

btw i found this, it may help;
http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/

It is possible your palm is touching your touching you touchpad as you type. I have had customers at work having similar problems and when i had the show me that was the problem.
Alot of touchpad settings have an option for accidental touches for the touchpad during typing. check those settings as well.

I seriously doubt it is virus related if you have tried reformatting your computer already.

i haven't typing to the any text document.because opening the my computer. pleas help me now.

Hi Ricknas and welcome to Daniweb,
You have hijacked a very old thread (Oct 6th, 2008).
Please start your own thread and supply a lot more information about your machine, OS and your problem. I see that you may have a small problem with English, see if you can get someone to help you ask your question so that we can assist you.

I had the same problem with my Vista after re-installation. Then I found I have to install the Touchpad driver. This driver seems to solve the problem.

my laptop cursor will not move. I have tried a system restore and it still will not work

my laptop cursor will not move. I have tried a system restore and it still will not work

most laptops have a button to turn the mouse pad off ,if yours does make sure it turned on

are you using an optical mouse? i had one that kept jumping around the screen.

I have installed the Touchfreeze program from;
http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze
and it has solved the problem just before I was going to throw the bloody Acer out of the window ! Great thanks guys.

My insertion point is jumping from line to or within the line of type. How can I correct the problem?

Hi, I have the same problem with Vista on my laptop. I am using an optical mouse but very frequently the curser jumps and i have overtyped something a para before. Very frustrating. Its the same without the mouse though. It happens on emails and word and in general anything that involves typing.

Help! I am using my laptop a lot more than previous and its really annoying me.

Hi guys. I have a Toshiba laptop and the same happens. The cursor jumps up, down, forward or backwards at random. No mouse installed. Any suggestions?

Ok, I thought I was losing it but this cursor jumping all over is happening on my work laptop (with an external USB mouse) and my personal laptop (using the trackpad). It is driving me nuts also as when you are typing it jumps up somwhere else and you text is now in the middle of another part of the document.

Both machines are running Windows 7 Home Premium. I never noticed it on Vista.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.