Hey guys. When ever i try to play a DVD on my PC the sound is really distorted and choppy :mad: It used to be good, and ive tried windows media player 10, PowerDVD and WinDVD! does anyone know how to fix this? Ive got XP SP1

Recommended Answers

All 30 Replies

Hey guys. When ever i try to play a DVD on my PC the sound is really distorted and choppy :mad: It used to be good, and ive tried windows media player 10, PowerDVD and WinDVD! does anyone know how to fix this? Ive got XP SP1

So this only happens with DVD and not CDAudio ,do you have onboard sound or a PCI sound card .

i have an onboard soundcard and CD's are fine! it used to work perfectly :(

Doesent make sence ,,
A CD music disk works ok in the DVD drive and a DVD disk doesn't !! To me its either a Dirty DvD disk or the DVD playing Software ,try Uninstall And Reinstalling the sortware maybe !:)

Doesent make sence ,,
A CD music disk works ok in the DVD drive and a DVD disk doesn't !! To me its either a Dirty DvD disk or the DVD playing Software ,try Uninstall And Reinstalling the sortware maybe !:)

thx for trying but unfortunatley you are wrong :sad: . I have tried many DVD's (all work on proper players!) and tried/unistalled every software around!

not the first time I was wrong !:)

i have had thsi problem before never fixed it mind u but firstly

dvd player home ones dfnt have as good lense as dvd players they miss scratches were dvd roms dnt so that myte be your problem or as caperjack has mentioned try uninstaloing the products or checking there is later software

or check ur dvd rok has been instaled properly uninstall it from device manager and then reboot ur pc and let it run through new harware found

hope this helps its worth a try

not the first time I was wrong !

lol

@epsos
thx for the help. Im sure it has been properly installed though!

thats okay just thouhgt it was worth a try let everyone know how u went on

Doesent make sence ,,
A CD music disk works ok in the DVD drive and a DVD disk doesn't !!

Actually, it does make some sense if you consider that CD audio and DVD audio are different formats, and within the DVD drive itself the encoding/decoding processes for each are even handled by different lasers.

marceta-

1. Have you tried entirely uninstalling the current drivers for the card and reinstalling drivers from scratch? Your currently-installed drivers may be corrupt. Download the most recent drivers for the sound card and use those if possible.

2. Just a thought, but is it possible that some other running programs/processes are interfering with the playback process? Due to its higher quality (higher bitrate and sample rate), DVD audio playback can be a bit more taxing on your system than CD audio playback. Shut down as many non-critical programs and background processes as possible and see if that makes a difference; your playback software might just need a bit more "breathing room" in terms of system resources.

3. Last but not least, unfortunately: your DVD drive could be failing.

Actually, it does make some sense if you consider that CD audio and DVD audio are different formats, and within the DVD drive itself the encoding/decoding processes for each are even handled by different lasers.

marceta-

1. Have you tried entirely uninstalling the current drivers for the card and reinstalling drivers from scratch? Your currently-installed drivers may be corrupt. Download the most recent drivers for the sound card and use those if possible.

2. Just a thought, but is it possible that some other running programs/processes are interfering with the playback process? Due to its higher quality (higher bitrate and sample rate), DVD audio playback can be a bit more taxing on your system than CD audio playback. Shut down as many non-critical programs and background processes as possible and see if that makes a difference; your playback software might just need a bit more "breathing room" in terms of system resources.

3. Last but not least, unfortunately: your DVD drive could be failing.

thx a lot, but it still suks :( I have 512mb ddr pc3200 ram, and still have tried closing most processes! Also " current drivers for the card" if you mean gfx card drivers then yes (i got the new nvidia ones yesterday!)!

Bummer- I hope it's not a hardware problem, but you seem to have covered all the software angles that I can think of...

I didn't re-read all the posts but i don't think we tried this ,go into device manager and uninstall the DVD player and rebooting windows and reloading the drive .

Mycomputer/properties/hardware/device manager,double click the dvd drive and uninstall .

tried that, thx man but no good :(

time to take the drive out and install it in another machine !and if you tried that and its still the same ,Throw the dam thing away ,

time to take the drive out and install it in another machine ...

Yeah, given the amount of software troubleshooting you've done, it's probably time to start looking at the possibility of a hardware fault. :(

Putting my "engineering" hat on, consider this:

Windows makes extensive use of CODECS (coders/decoders), as mentioned by DMR above, to support the variety of multimedia applications available. For example, video capture requires numerous codecs to encode the audio and video streams being passed to the PC. As another example, audio playback requires one codec for each type of audio format. In many cases, you may find more than one copy of the same codec on the same system. This can easily happen as various multimedia applications are installed and removed. When there is more than one instance of the same codec, conflicts may result that impair the performance of your multimedia applications.

Whenever you encounter trouble with audio recording, playback, capture and so on, always check for duplicate codecs under your Multimedia icon:

1- Click Start, highlight Settings, and then select Control Panel.
2- Double-click the Multimedia icon, and then select the Devices tab.
3- Expand the Audio Compression Codecs entry and look for duplicate entries.
4- If you see duplicate entries, check the Properties for each instance and then remove the OLDER instance.
5- Apply your changes and reboot the system if necessary.
6- You can check for duplicate codecs under the other entries as well.

If this doesn't bear any fruit for you, I'm with caperjack and it may be time to get a new DVD drive.

commented: Excellent advice! -- dlh +1

Windows makes extensive use of CODECS...

Hmm... yes- software codec conflicts or even corruption of a codec definitely can cause problems such as this, and perhaps even a fresh install of drivers and other software didn't go deeply enough to solve things. For that matter, as RR stated, codec conflicts can actually be caused by the installation of different/multiple multimedia programs.

It's worth looking in to before yanking the physical drive...

1- Click Start, highlight Settings, and then select Control Panel.
2- Double-click the Multimedia icon, and then select the Devices tab.
3- Expand the Audio Compression Codecs entry and look for duplicate entries.
4- If you see duplicate entries, check the Properties for each instance and then remove the OLDER instance.
5- Apply your changes and reboot the system if necessary.
6- You can check for duplicate codecs under the other entries as well.

thx for this! i cant actually see a multimedia icon!

It's there somewhere. Look for a small yellow speaker icon which may be labeled "Sounds and Multimedia" rather than just "multimedia".

You can also view your installed codecs this way:

In you System control panel, go to the Hardware tab and click on the Device Manager button. In the resulting list of components, you'll find all of your installed codecs under the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers section.

Sorry marceta, but the screenie has to be (at least) one layer deeper in order for us to see which exact codecs you have installed for each category... :(

The specific codecs that you have installed will be listed under the general (Audio, Video, etc.) headings that your current screenshot shows.

You're almost where you need to be. From your screen shot above, now click on "audio codecs" and that will open the next screen and list all the codecs loaded on your system which are for the audio.
Down at the bottom of the same screen above, you'll see video codecs and you can do the same there.
REMEMBER - If you see duplicate entries, check the Properties for each instance and then remove the OLDER instance. Do that by highlighting one of the dupes and clicking your RIGHT MOUSE button and selecting PROPERTIES. You will find the dates there.

Thx again guys, heres the screenie (i put both audio and video together), so far ive deleted "msh2.dvr" and am not sure what else to do, "msg711.acm"?

[IMG]http://img46.exs.cx/img46/854/devices2.jpg[/IMG]

I'm not sure why you deleted the driver "msh2.dvr". I don't see it listed anywhere and you should only be deleting "DUPLICATES" and then checking by using viewing "properties" to make sure you do NOT delete the latest version. If everything is working OK, I guess it's OK. Otherwise, you should put it back.

Leave the codec "msg711.acm" as there an no dupe's of it. Remember, different applications use different codecs, so it's common to have several different ones loaded.

If you didn't find any duplicates of the audio codecs (or the video codecs), then that's all you can do from this window and this is probably not your problem. Since you checked just about everything else, I thought this might be worth looking at before you either R&R the DVD drive to another PC to test it there, or replace it. It is now looking more like a hardware problem.

ohh so i shouldnt have deleted :S well i though it was an early version of 1 i had!

well i think im just gonna use my proper DVD player from now on to watch 'em! thx every1 :D

I fixed it :D in a last attempt i reinstalled cyberlink powerdvd and messed with every possible setting! Somehow it was configured for 8speaker audio :S and i only have 2.1, changing this made everything work again!

i meet the same anoying problem. i think it is something about my soundcard.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.