My CD and DVD burners were working fine, but now when I click on My Computer neither one of the burners are there. I've tried to uninstall both of them and reinstall. When I tried to reinstall, it says my drivers are either corrupt or missing. I'm using WindowsXP. Someone told me to use my Windows CD to repair them, but obviously I can't do that....it won't read the CD. Where can I download a repair tool for the drivers? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

If you try booting from your CD it should work assuming that it is windows that is not reconizing your CD drive. If on boot up your PC finds your CD drive you can boot from it.
Just restart your PC and boot from your windows CD, allow it to go through to "found an old version of windows XP, do you want to repair?" click "R" and allow windows to repair. Note do not press "R" earlier than "found old win"

No, when I try my Windows CD it doesn't recognize the DVD drive. I had to uninstall the driver, but when I try to reinstall the driver, I get the error 'driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39).

But now someone says to go into the registry remove these keys......remove them both and reboot......

The keys are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} - "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters".

NOW my question is: do I remove the entire line that reads: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE........ or just the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters. I know it's a dumb question, but I don't like messing with the registry.

Thanks

just the upper and lower filters

Yes I did only the upper and lower filters, but it still didn't work. I try to reinstall the DVD and CD burners, but no luck! :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.