hi

want to know what is the good antivirus to use to my comp which is freeware and have good updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks in advanced !!!! :p

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

One of the best freeware anti-virus programs is AVG Anti-Virus. They have a free edition which is just as good as their commercial one, the only difference is that the free one has less options, but it uses the same anti-virus technology ;)

Here is where to get it:
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/1/

You have to give your email address in order to receive a serial number, but I know from personal experience that they don't use your email address for anything else, so you don't need to worry about spam or special offers from them :)

Good luck!

Thanks for this - will have to give it ago while i find away to update Norton.

thanks a lot bro cheers for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dani web rules !

You're welcome :D

Rock on!

Try the Anti-Virus from , it comes with a professional Anti-Spyware and updates itself automatically (free for 1 year) and it scans in the background - using less resources than most!
If it finds a virus it brings up a hazard sign and a siren sounds - v cool :-)
I use it because it managed to install on my infected PC (when Norton and McAfee wouldn't) and it found the virus straight away plus it has kept my PC clean since. Get it at or
Hope this helps!

A good antivirus I would choose between NOD32 Internet Security or Kaspersky Internet Security. Both are good. Kaspersky probably better. New Norton Av are also good but not quite so intuitive. A good guide for beginners may be find at www.softputeria.com
Anyway it may be a lot more options.
Cheers

I agree with paddy. cause it update very quickly. another hand you can user macfee. but its update file is so long like 60/120 mb. it also freeware.

That's easy. Just use Grissoft's AVG or Avast! 4 Home. In fact, you can download, install and use both together. No conflicts between them, and they both perform right well, although for the present I would have to say that Avast! 4 Home seems to be in the lead for getting automatic updates and letting you know that it got them. Might run a shade better as well, but AVG seems to have a good handle on scanning emails for bad attachments.

What else is there? Well, you see a lot of ads for this or that sometimes, but some are very questionable. Best find a place where each is rated against the others in order to get the best one.

What else? Amazing thing if you decide to step forward to installing Ubuntu or some other version of Linux on your PC, either making a dual boot process or replacing Windows. I like Ubuntu particularly, as it is really easy to pick up on It's harder if you want to go the dual boot route, so best find articles and posts that explain how, if you are not into manually setting up drive partitions.

Linux is immune to attacks focused on Windows. And if you still want Windows, you can have both running together, Ubuntu is your host OS, then you add and use VirtualBox (free to individuals) which will let you install Windows as a guest OS as well. You can then either run just Ubuntu, or call up VirtualBox and tell it to start up Windows in what was once called a sandbox. There, even tough Windows and any installed applications with it work as expencted, to the outside world it still looks and acts like Linux, because Windows service calls are being redirected by VirtualBox to equivalent Linux services. Man, this is like being behind a moat and a juge stone wall! Hardly anything can get to you, and I've been doing this for a year without any added protection and yet my system has been scratch free from outside forces. Windows even runs faster as a client without the software protection bloat, and you can even use copy and paste between applications under the two OSes without a problem. Fact is, Linux can handle FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions and files without a sweat, and you can even add a driver to windows so that it can work with the Ext3/Ext3 partitions and files commonly set up by Linux. So it is a back and forth world, and you can click between them with a single mouse action. Might take you two weeks to get it all working together, but it is really worth while. Just a thought.

Avast all of the Way!!!!!

Cohen

A good free antivirus would be AVG.

I will suggest avast.....
Its boot sector scanning feature is the best i have ever found in any antivirus.

hi

want to know what is the good antivirus to use to my comp which is freeware and have good updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nod32

I have Avast at home and AntiVir Classic at work, both are good

hi

well i have nod32, but i tried it for 30days and bought it. a free 1 thats a good 1 avira i used it and its good. AVG is a nother1 avast is a nother1 free1, but of these 3 i think avira is the best1

hi try these guys they list 4 of the most common antivirus used buy home and business users
linkmeplease.com

hope it helps ya out btw i got them to add web hosting when i found there site so if you have somthing that your after just send them an email there realy good. i dded them to my faves and use them for stuff now.

hi try these guys they list 4 of the most common antivirus used buy home and business users
linkmeplease.com

hope it helps ya out btw i got them to add web hosting when i found there site so if you have somthing that your after just send them an email there realy good. i dded them to my faves and use them for stuff now.

A good free antivirus would be AVG.

Oh HELL NO!! That one has more false positives than almost anything else I've encountered, and no way to temp disable via sys tray for those times you need to.

First vote has to go to Symantec Endpoint Protection (is corporate tho)

Second to Avira

Third to free AV suite am using at moment in Win7 till Endpoint fully compatible - Comodo

I am using Symantec AV Corporate eversince. Its so easy to manage and it updates itself automatically.

But in your case, you're looking for freeware, try Kaspersky and Avast..

Goodluck!

Guy's try this place ive found them realy handy. linkmeplease.com they have the 4 tops antivirus atm and update when new info is avalible. btw if there is somthing you want added to the website just send them an email and they do it in about 48 hours . its why i find them handy. not many sittes make it to my favs folder but this one has. good luck i hope the 4 antivirus programs they have on there are of help. good luck Tanya

Guy's try this place ive found them realy handy. linkmeplease.com they have the 4 tops antivirus atm and update when new info is avalible. btw if there is somthing you want added to the website just send them an email and they do it in about 48 hours . its why i find them handy. not many sittes make it to my favs folder but this one has. good luck i hope the 4 antivirus programs they have on there are of help. good luck Tanya

OK - I ignored you the first time, but now look out!!

"Top Four?? According to whom??? AVG - the very WORST AV on the block - so many false positives and an inability to temp disable for app who NEED it off, NO ability to over-ride or remove reclaim files it pulls out.... forget it!! BitDefender?? Another piece of crap!! Norton 360?? Symantec make fantastic corporate AV's... their "Home" rage consists of BLOATWARE!! The ONLY decent offering listed is Kapersky, and even that is not what it used to be.

For REAL info and comparisons on AVs, look to links below.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Best-Windows-Antivirus-2008-Editions-80796.shtml
http://www.av-test.org/index.php?lang=0
http://www.av-comparatives.org/index.php
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report22.pdf
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report21.pdf

The best free antivirus I have found is Avira AntiVir (http://www.free-av.com/). It is super fast and has controls that the beginner or experienced user will fee comfortable with. The only thing that might turn people off is that every time the software updates it displays an add for their paid for products. I think this is a minor issue to deal with though as you aren't having to pay anything.

If you don't want to deal with the program above then my second choice is AVG (http://free.avg.com/). AVG is much slower than Avira but it does provide good overall protection.

Note: Both software packages are free for home use only. If you have a business you are in violation of the license to use the product without purchase.

OK - I ignored you the first time, but now look out!!

well i see where you are coming from. but i dont travel sites i should not be in so i am happy with avg althou. i hope you emailed them at link me please with your idear for one to add and reson im due to renew my avg might just change. btw avg alsio didnt chock my dinosour pf a comp to death with its system hogs like 360

Try ESET NOD32

yea try esset nod 32:) i love that 1

I download this new software ZenOK Free Antivirus, and Im pretty surprise with it, its been a while and my pc has not been infected any way. and it does slow down my computer

I work with Pcs over ten years now, I used Norton antivirus till it went so big ram eater. then I worked with nod32 for some years. Now I use Microsoft security essential and it is perfect. I had no problem with it since it had been published. it is totally free from Microsoft. all you need is a genuine windows. It works on all windows platforms.

Avast - is trash!
If you want to grab viruses - it's nice!
Here most popular antiviruses
https://bestantiviruspro.org/

commented: According to that web site it's #4, with a rating of 9/10. So calling it "trash" is nonsense. -3
commented: This is like calling all second place finish folk losers. -3
commented: Are you going to back up that accusation with any facts? No, didn't think so -4
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.