I have this Windows server 2003 O/S witch gives me this window error message witch i can not close it from my desktop.

explorer.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x0134f512" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

What ever of the two i click it will close explorer.exe (desktop and taskbar) for few seconts and it will start again and give me again the error.

I got this as well same application different instruction.

The instruction at "0x0134f512" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Please help

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello, B_G, this message is caused by a pgm trying to access incorrect memory addresses, a pretty obvious thing in your case where it tries for 0x00000000. Bad programming is often found in malware, so may I assume that you have been infected by something which cannot even run properly? Unless its aim is just to break explorer [taskbar is part of explorer].
But explorer is just the GUI, and you can work without it.
Is Task manager working? [ctrl-alt-del, usually...]. If so, go to TM, File, New Task, and paste or type in:
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

==Download that file to your desktop.
- to run it dclick combofix.exe and follow the prompts to start it. When finished, it will produce a log, C:\Combofix.txt - post that log in your next reply.
A word of caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs reboot to restore the desktop.
If that log file does not open, or you lose it, just type C:\Combofix.txt into that same Run window in TM.
Next: Run this:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
-copy that download to a new FOLDER placed either alongside your program files or on your desktop and then... rename hijackthis.exe to imabunny.exe
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe; now close ALL other applications and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.
## You may find it easier to copy those logs to a removable medium and post from your other computer. Or you can try it all from Safe Mode with Networking. Your choice.

Hello, gerbil

Thank you for your help, i haven't done what you told me yet because i have no access to the server now. The server is in another town and the only way to get my hands on it is to connect by modem or to go there. For now i can not do any of that.
When i get the log files i will post it.

Thank you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.