Hi all.

I have this peculiar problem, that all popular antivirus sites have been redirected to localhost (127.0.0.1). My computer has Windows XP prof. SP2.

I've checked the hosts file (windows\system32\drivers\etc), and it is fine. I next checked the system for virus with latest stinger, it didn't find anything wrong.

I can browse non antivirus sites, email sites, but not antivirus sites. Even when I am not connected to internet, I can ping antivirus sites like symantec.com, nai.com, trendmicro.com, safer-networking.org, etc. I get a reply from 127.0.0.1. Now, even my Norton Antivirus 2008 says it need activation again. Without a connectivity to symantec.com, I can't do anything about it.

Has anybody faced a similar situation? Actually, I found one unwanted (Actually, it is not signed by Microsoft) file called "csrcs.exe" getting loaded through registry (HKLM\Microsoft\Current Version\Run), and removed the entry and renamed the file. On googling the file, I found that it is some type of a spyware.

I am left without protection, and am in danger. Pls reply.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

try a scan with this program ,.
Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.

Jack,

It worked. It got installed, updated and found a dozen errors. After removing them and on restarting them, I could actually connect to other antivirus websites and got NAV 2008 reactivated.

Thanks friend.

Kedar.

Jack,

It worked. It got installed, updated and found a dozen errors. After removing them and on restarting them, I could actually connect to other antivirus websites and got NAV 2008 reactivated.

Thanks friend.

Kedar.

your welcome ,good to hear it solved you problem .

CaperJack thanks for sharing this
link but I wanted to know that how come
this user was able to ping the anti-virus
websites inspite of not being connected to
internet?

CaperJack thanks for sharing this
link but I wanted to know that how come
this user was able to ping the anti-virus
websites inspite of not being connected to
internet?

hi,you need to re-read there first post ! they could get on the net ,just not popular antivirus sites .
also i don't see where they say anything about pinging web sites

try a scan with this program ,.
Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.

Hi jack, i faced a similar problem. And when i wanted to download from majorgeeks.com, i was similarly prevented from going in. Any other link or sites i can download the malwarebytes? Pls help.
Thanks.
thomas

Hi jack, i faced a similar problem. And when i wanted to download from majorgeeks.com, i was similarly prevented from going in. Any other link or sites i can download the malwarebytes? Pls help.
Thanks.
thomas

you may have to download it on another computer ,http://www.malwarebytes.org/
as the trojans you have will likely stop you from getting it from any site ,also try the link in my signature for superyantispyware ,

Thanks.
thomas

Hi Jack, thanks for prompt reply.
I managed to download the file from another PC and saved to my thumbdrive; but it won't start the installation. Seems like whatever trojan/virus in my laptop is not allowing the mbam-setup.exe from executing. What else can i do?
pls advise

Hey thomas

Have you tried copying from your removable drive to your desktop and installing from there? If that doesn't work, how about superantispyware? If the malware is preventing those as well, a system repair might be the last option.

I managed to download the file from another PC and saved to my thumbdrive; but it won't start the installation. Seems like whatever trojan/virus in my laptop is not allowing the mbam-setup.exe from executing. What else can i do?
pls advise

hi just change the name of the EXE file .i call mine .biteme.exe

pls advise

Renaming the setup file worked for me to get it installed.

But then the main exe was being blocked, but again, renaming the exe got it running.

hi just change the name of the EXE file .i call mine .biteme.exe

hi jack n misterken, thanks for advice. I did just that, by renaming the setup file to install and renaming the exe file to run program. It was successful. Now everything is good Thanks for advice again
thomas

Another trick for you - you can run Malwarebytes in Safe Mode. between that and the rename, you should almost always be able to get it to run.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.