I recently bought a new laptop with Vista. My desktop runs on winxp. I want to hook up my laptop to the modem but it keeps asking for the disk, which there is none. I want to have my laptop upstairs and my desktop is downstairs. This will only be temp until my wireless stuff gets here. I am not very computer sauve so please bear with me. I don't have the ethernet cables either. Sorry about being so DUHHH but this is all new to me. Basically I am unhooking the USB from my desk and hooking it up to the laptop.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What is the make / model of the usb modem?

It may not be Vista compatible depending on the drivers available for it (which is what I suspect the case to be).

What is the make / model of the usb modem?

It may not be Vista compatible depending on the drivers available for it (which is what I suspect the case to be).

it is a siemens speedstream 4200

Reading online, this modem appears to be a DSL modem, correct?

Several users suggest connecting Vista to that modem via the Ethernet instead of the USB.

There should be some steps in the instruction booklet that help you do this.

I was unable to locate any drivers on Siemens site:

http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/com/support/downloads.html

my modem don't work with win7 plz help i need it so much :'(

Hi salak and welcome to Daniweb,
You have hijacked an old thread (Sept 5th, 2008)
Please start your own thread with a lot more details. Have you done an online compatibility check??

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.