Did windows update for XP and now computer wont boot up.. says System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys missing. had no probs till did update.. now I cant get into my computer. Can anyone help? or tell me how to extrac my files before crashing my system?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

If you can't boot into windows at all. Try to repair it. You'll have to reboot from the inXP CD and select repair and when you are at the DOS type chkdsk /r and hit enter. Let us know the outcome.

If you can't boot into windows at all. Try to repair it. You'll have to reboot from the inXP CD and select repair and when you are at the DOS type chkdsk /r and hit enter. Let us know the outcome.

Hi,
I got the same problem,
I bought a new computer system and faced problems and problems.
I never used ASUS MB, AMD 2600 processor before.
The problem is I installed windows, It says all the time that
ntfs.sys file is missing or corrupt and you can recover it using recovery sytem with windows CD
I did recovery system and rename the ntfs.sys with ntfs.sys.old and then copy again from windows CD the file and tested in case if did not copied there and it was there in the directory, But when I restart computer it still says
ntfs.sys file is missing or corrupt use recovery system
I am realy fed up doing it 10 to 20 times, have changed the HD, have changed the memory with old memory on my other pc and have changed the IDE cable with 80 and 40 cables, have run recovery sytstem plenty times and also changed the jumpers many times.
But still problem is same, Any help, any idea??????????????????????????
I am realy fed up of doing this form week

I run the chkdsk /r when it completes says that it found and fixed one error.
But I tried to install window again still giving message that ntfs.sys file is missing or corrupt.
Any more suggestion

I run the chkdsk /r when it completes says that it found and fixed one error.
But I tried to install window again still giving message that ntfs.sys file is missing or corrupt.
Any more suggestion

Did you try Catweazle's suggestion?
You could also try this .

Ok I got the same problem but when i put in my disc it has two options command prompt or restore xp, the restore will erase all my files which i need! I put in my dad's recovery disc next and it has the repair option but it doesn't work, so i try using my messed up hd as a secondary but it starts to boot up then it restarts can someone please help me out as to what to do?

Hello,

Your first major mistake was to upgrade your computer without making a backup. I bet you will learn from this, and not make this mistake a second time. Backups are the lifeblood of your data. Also, had your data been on a different partition, you could re-format C: and not caused a problem with your data on D: I realize this does not help you, but it may inspire you to take better care of your machine.

If this box was sent to me for repair, I would take the hard drive out, and put it into a second computer as a slave hard drive. Boot that one up, and then copy the data files off of it. Then, I would be in a position to re-partition the broken setup, reformat the drives, and setup the machine and then setup a backup strategy. If you try this, make sure you set the IDE jumpers accordingly for primary and slave.

If you have a network available, you might try booting Knoppix or a different linux that is all contained on a CD-ROM. You can then see if it will access the NTFS volume, and then let you copy the data to a server.

In the end though, I think you are going to end up starting over from scratch with the FORMAT utility, and rebuilding from square one. It is my personal expierience that trying voodoo repairs and other tricks with the registry and that are just time wasters, and that by the time you realize that is the case, you could have had a fresh clean install completed.

Christian

Hello,

Your first major mistake was to upgrade your computer without making a backup. I bet you will learn from this, and not make this mistake a second time. Backups are the lifeblood of your data. Also, had your data been on a different partition, you could re-format C: and not caused a problem with your data on D: I realize this does not help you, but it may inspire you to take better care of your machine.

If this box was sent to me for repair, I would take the hard drive out, and put it into a second computer as a slave hard drive. Boot that one up, and then copy the data files off of it. Then, I would be in a position to re-partition the broken setup, reformat the drives, and setup the machine and then setup a backup strategy. If you try this, make sure you set the IDE jumpers accordingly for primary and slave.

If you have a network available, you might try booting Knoppix or a different linux that is all contained on a CD-ROM. You can then see if it will access the NTFS volume, and then let you copy the data to a server.

In the end though, I think you are going to end up starting over from scratch with the FORMAT utility, and rebuilding from square one. It is my personal expierience that trying voodoo repairs and other tricks with the registry and that are just time wasters, and that by the time you realize that is the case, you could have had a fresh clean install completed.

Christian

Yeah i did all that with going from one hard drive to another but it didn't work, when i put in the damaged hard drive as a slave the computer restarts, it doesn't load completely, i have the option of restoring the hd but it will erase all my files, which i need, anyway I was just wondering if you had any other suggestions about how to fix it?

Ok I tried running the ghost program to copy it which it started to but at the end it said it couldn't find ghosterr.txt and after i got out it said that the error was the ntfs.sys file, whenever i tried to get on my hd this blue screen comes up saying page_fault_in_non_paged_area at the bottom was ntfs.sys thing...

Hello,

Perhaps you mis-understood me. Take the drive out of the computer that is broken, and place into a computer that has a working C: drive. Add it as a slave to that computer, and see if you can get to the files.

I am suggesting that you find a different hard drive that can boot, and go from there. Merely moving the jumper from master to slave on your troubled drive will not achieve anything.

Christian

Hello,

Perhaps you mis-understood me. Take the drive out of the computer that is broken, and place into a computer that has a working C: drive. Add it as a slave to that computer, and see if you can get to the files.

I am suggesting that you find a different hard drive that can boot, and go from there. Merely moving the jumper from master to slave on your troubled drive will not achieve anything.

Christian

I got exactly what you said, which i did, anyway i tried it with 2 different working hd's nothing worked... But now I got it, I took the messed up hd, then i used ghost to copy it as an image file, then i took the discs and tried to overwrite the existing info on the messed up hd, but it came up with the message can't find ghosterr.txt but it went through the ntfs.sys file before i got the message, then a new message when i tried to boot the messed up hd, it was telling me that the drive mount was not there, so i hooked up the drive again as a slave to a good hd, which it didn't restart over again, next it ran chkdsk on the messed up hd and with luck the hd showed up and i could access the files! My only problem now is that some of the files are locked out to me and i can't copy them but most of them i manage to copy. So if i could get the hd to work a little i should be able to get out of this, unless someone out there knows what i could do...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.