Help! - volume controls are gone, obnoxios tones resound where audio should be heard and "There are no active mixer devices available." is the message when attempting to open the volume control on Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment. I have re-installed the Crystal Audio drivers on this Dell laptop many many times (sometimes that fixes it for a little while). Have also re-intalled Win 2K a couple of times. Decided that it was a hardware issue but it always recovers on a Win 2K re-install. I am starting to think that it has something to do with a conflict that occurs with Norton SystemWorks 2004. I think that maybe one of the Live Updates causes the problem. It seems as though that is when it starts to occur each time that I re-build my software after a Win 2K re-install. I have tried to find a reference at the Symantec site but to no avail. Symantec seems to be known for denying fault (from other threads that I've read). Does the Symantec / Vol. Control correlate with anyone else's experience? Any other ideas? Also, I did previously have some "bad-ware" i.e. adware, viruses, trojan horses, junkie puddings... what-have-you but these have always seemed to have been cleared out by a Win 2k re-install.

Thanks
Smith555

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

You've mentioned reinstalling Windows. Is that a format/install? If so, are you sure the appropriate motherboard chipset drivers are loaded?

Yes mother board chipset installation is part of the Dell Win 2k re-installation process, from the Dell drivers CD. I have reinstalled Win 2k in the past when bad-ware invaded and never had a problem with the audio. The audio problem seemed to begin when I was not having bad-ware problems.
Thanks
Smith555

Try searching the knowledge base at www.symantec.com for manual uninstall instructions for your Norton product. Remove it (keep the system disconnected from the net afterwards of course, and uninstall/reinstall your soundcard. If it works correctly you'll know that it was the Norton product causing the problem, and you'll know you need to find a more suitable alternative.

Wall I guess that's just good old fashion horse-sense. (cat sense ;). Being away from the net is not an option for me for very long but I guess that I'll have to do this some night soon. I was hoping for a quicker fix

Thanks very much for your help - will let the thread know how it comes out
-- Smith555

Help! - volume controls are gone, obnoxios tones resound where audio should be heard and "There are no active mixer devices available." is the message when attempting to open the volume control on Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment. I have re-installed the Crystal Audio drivers on this Dell laptop many many times (sometimes that fixes it for a little while). Have also re-intalled Win 2K a couple of times. Decided that it was a hardware issue but it always recovers on a Win 2K re-install. I am starting to think that it has something to do with a conflict that occurs with Norton SystemWorks 2004. I think that maybe one of the Live Updates causes the problem. It seems as though that is when it starts to occur each time that I re-build my software after a Win 2K re-install. I have tried to find a reference at the Symantec site but to no avail. Symantec seems to be known for denying fault (from other threads that I've read). Does the Symantec / Vol. Control correlate with anyone else's experience? Any other ideas? Also, I did previously have some "bad-ware" i.e. adware, viruses, trojan horses, junkie puddings... what-have-you but these have always seemed to have been cleared out by a Win 2k re-install.

Verify that the sndvol32.exe file is located in the system32 folder under C:\\windows\. If not install it there from your CD or download it online. Then go to the control panel and click on "Sounds & Auido Devices" put a check beside "Place volume Icon on task bar."
Hope this helps.

when i try to listen to music it wont work. It was working fine yesterday and I come on my computer today and SUDDENLY my sound doesnt work. I dont understand how this coul dhave happened? There are no active mixers available and I cant install them cuz it wont work I have no idea what to do. It says all my drivers are working properly. I dont have a certain "make" of a computer. It was built and so I cant like go to a website to download their drivers because it was custom built. What do i do ? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME

when i try to listen to music it wont work. It was working fine yesterday and I come on my computer today and SUDDENLY my sound doesnt work. I dont understand how this coul dhave happened? There are no active mixers available and I cant install them cuz it wont work I have no idea what to do. It says all my drivers are working properly. I dont have a certain "make" of a computer. It was built and so I cant like go to a website to download their drivers because it was custom built. What do i do ? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME

WHY IS NO ONE HELPING ME

This Website Sucks All Of U Fucking Suck

commented: Using obscenity is not the way to get your question answered. -2

Oh dear!

You've 'piggy-backed' a question onto a long-dead discussion, then got angry because nobody was logged in over the weekend to address your problem! You became impatient after only an hour it seems!

Please start a new topic for your problem, and exercise a bit of patience. Help forums are frequented by people who freely give their time to help others when they can. They're not a 'free service' where people are sitting waiting round the clock anxious to serve you!

Topic closed, because it needs to rest in peace.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.