............ change the previous owners name in my 2nd hand computer? It's got Windows XP Home w/SP3 and I just want to remove their name from my daughters computer.

Also, we bought one for our son but it has Windows XP Professional on it but I can't upgrade the Internet Explorer to IE7? Why is that? I have never used XP Pro before, but figured it was the same as Home.

Thanks in advance,
Wild32

PS: I'm not sure what other information you require, so if I've missed something, please let me know. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

First one is easy: Go Start, Run, enter regedit
Navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
Change [rclick and use Modify] RegisteredOwner to MyLilBunnykins
Or if you prefer this will do it for you:
==Please copy the text in the box to a notepad [format/wordwrap unchecked] and save as fixkey.reg, as type "all files", to your desktop; dclick it to run... agree; if it opens in notepad instead rclick the icon [file], choose Open with, Registry editor....

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"RegisteredOwner" ="MyLilBunnykins"

Gerbil has given you the right information but I just go
"Control Panel"
"System"
"Computer Name"
"Change"
Then enter the new name in the highlighted area.
Click "OK"
When you reboot the name will be changed.

To Bob_180_Bob
Please take note that he doesn't want to change the computer name, he wants to change the owner to whom the computer is registered to. There's a difference in you're post and Gerbil's post. :)

Gerbil is right

First one is easy: Go Start, Run, enter regedit
Navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
Change [rclick and use Modify] RegisteredOwner to MyLilBunnykins
Or if you prefer this will do it for you:
==Please copy the text in the box to a notepad [format/wordwrap unchecked] and save as fixkey.reg, as type "all files", to your desktop; dclick it to run... agree; if it opens in notepad instead rclick the icon [file], choose Open with, Registry editor....

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"RegisteredOwner" ="MyLilBunnykins"

Thank you very much!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.