Hey to all at Dani Web !!!

I have a Emachine, T1740, with Windows Xp Home Edition on it.
I'm lost when it comes to dealing with hardware that won't install right.
This computer was givin to me. It was loaded with a few viruses and had issues I couldn't even begin to explain, like.....wouldn't copy or paste, freezes up, etc...
So, I put a fresh copy of Windows XP Home, on the computer and started over.
I had to go to Emachine website to get a few drivers and I'm still having problems with a couple small issues.
When I plug a PNY flash/thumb drive into any of the 6 usb ports, front or back, the computer just doesn't see them. I also tried to see if the ports would recognize a WebCam, and it didn't see it either. Nothing happends. I went into DEVICE MANAGER and everything looks ok in there, says all is working fine!
There are 2 usb ports on the front of the machine and there are 4 on the back......none work.
I have uninstalled the USB controllers and reinstalled them successfuly. I have also done the USB root hubs. I have went into BIOS and selected " Load Failsafe defaults".
I also get no sound and in Control Panel, it says that there are " No audio Devices".
Other than that, the computer is fine and I have put AVG, ZoneAlarm , SP2, SP3 on it. It hooks to the internet just fine.
Any and all help is very much appreciated !!!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi,

What do you get in the devise manager against the USB and sound?

Here are a few things that may help but at least worth a try.

Check Disk

1. Right click your disk drive icon (normally “C”),
2. Click “Properties.”

3Verify Window’s Files

1. Go “START”, “RUN” type “CMD” Press “OK” or Boot PC into “safe mode with command prompt”
2. Type sfc /scannow /f (note:- space after sfc)
3. Windows file protection will check your files. Follow any prompts; you may be required to use your XP CD.
4. Re-boot your PC
Click “Tools”
4. In “Error checking” click “Check Now”
5. Check the 2 boxes, “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”
6. Click “Start”
7. At the pop-up window “The disk check could not……” Click “Yes”
8. Re-boot your PC and allow disk checker to start. (Do not press any key before it starts)

On-line Virus Scan

Go to one or all of these sites and do an online virus scan.

housecall.trendmicro.com

security.symantec.com

us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

Check Malware

Go to http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
and download and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

1. Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
2. Make sure you put a check in the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
3. If an update is found, let it download and instal.
4. Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
5. When the scan is complete, click OK, then click Show Results to view the results.
6. Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
7. When completed, a log will open.

Check Spyware

Go to www.safer-networking.org and download and run Spybot

Check Disk

1. Right click your disk drive icon (normally “C”),
2. Click “Properties.”
3. Click “Tools”
4. In “Error checking” click “Check Now”
5. Check the 2 boxes, “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”
6. Click “Start”
7. At the pop-up window “The disk check could not……” Click “Yes”
8. Re-boot your PC and allow disk checker to start. (Do not press any key before it starts)

I'm still working on this, please don't give up on me . Work has had me very busy and I went to get my son for this weekend. I ran the "Check disk", and it didn't show anything. Malewarebyes found a hot bar and tracking cookie, but I think they were all in System Restore. Same with Spybot. I turned off System Restore to clear it out and then turned it back on. I am re-running Malewarebytes and Spybot to make sure I'm clean.
Housecall Trend Micro, found some vulnerabilites and one hot bar, thats it. I'll add more tomorrow or when Malewarebytes and Spybot are done.
Thanks a million !!!

Hi,
If you are still having problems after that, I think a repair would be in order.

If you have not installed Service Pack 3 yet, do a Windows repair, if you have installed it, first try…..

Post a detailed report

Go to:- www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html download and run Hijack this. “Do not try to do any repairs yourself.” Save the report and send it with your next post along with any error logs.
To check error logs, go to “START” “RUN” type “eventvwr.msc” Click “OK” and check if there any errors in the logs. Include any information that could help:-
1. What were you doing on the PC when the problem occurred?
2. Does it happen every time you do this?
3. What progs are running as well?
4. What have you done to fix this problem?
5. How long has the problem been happening?
6. Have you installed/uninstalled or updated any progs recently?
7. Any other information that may help resolve your problem. Remember, no one here can see your PC; you are the only one that can tell someone else about the problem.

To Repair Windows XP from your XP CD…..

1. Re-start PC with XP CD in drive (Have your serial number handy)
2. As your PC starts press “F12” for boot menu (Or what your PC may ask for)
3. Scroll to and select “boot from CD.”
4. At prompt “Press any key to boot from CD” Press “Any key”
5. In the Windows XP Setup window, Press “Enter” to set up windows XP, (Don’t worry, this is a repair only, not a fresh install.)
6. At next window, Press “F8” to accept license agreement
7. Wait until windows displays your current version of XP and asks “To repair the selected windows XP installation press R”
8. Press “R”
9. Enter serial number when prompted.
10. Wait for files to be copied (PC will indicate 39 mins, it will take a lot less.)
11. When asked to adjust Regional language options, click “Next” as it is still set.
12. PC will re-boot.
13. If you have AVG Free, copy serial number to a file as you will lose it on repair. After repair a window will pop up asking how you want to treat AVG, Click repair and when prompted enter serial number.
14. Check to see if problem still exists.

You might also inspect the motherboard. Look at the capacitors. Emachines, especially windows xp models had alot of issues with motherboard, power supplies and such.

When looking at the motherboard. Look for any capacitors(round tubes sticking up on the board) and look for tops that are domed/bubbled or have corrosion on the top...looks kind of like rust.

While you are in there you might also want to trace the cables for the front usb ports and make sure they are plugged into the board.

I sure do appreciate all the help supplied from all of you !
I have ordered a USB port card and a sound card. I will recieve them late this week. If they don't help, I will treat this computer like Ole' Yeller !

Well, I got in the USB card from NewEgg, and it works great ! It came with 4 external ports and one internal port(whatever thats for ???), and after installing it, I now have USB ports working ! I ordered a sound card and it came with the wrong metal end. The one in the pic I ordered had long metal end and the one they sent me had a short metal end. After calling the company, they are sending me the correct metal end,( like the pic had), and I will swap out the end myself. I should get it Monday or Tuesday. I will install it and let ya know my progress! Thanks for all your great help so far !!!

I got the sound card,(FINALY), and after installing it, I have sound !!!!!! Now with the USB card and sound card, I can function once again ! I want to thank ALL who helped me . I hope one day to be able to help ya back !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.