About two months ago I added a DVD recorder to my sister-in-law's PC. She and I copied a disc from both recorders. Now she can not read a disc.
I checked in the device driver and disc management no drives showing, both are gone.
Anyone that has a fix let me know. I think the drivers are corrupted and already uninstalled them and reinstalled them by removing them from the device manager and rebooting.
Any other advise or I am putting in the RECOVERY DISC and reboot.
Thanks to all.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

About two months ago I added a DVD recorder to my sister-in-law's PC. She and I copied a disc from both recorders. Now she can not read a disc.
I checked in the device driver and disc management no drives showing, both are gone.
Anyone that has a fix let me know. I think the drivers are corrupted and already uninstalled them and reinstalled them by removing them from the device manager and rebooting.
Any other advise or I am putting in the RECOVERY DISC and reboot.
Thanks to all.

go to the device manager and uninstall the drive. Both of them if neccessary.

Go to start menu -> run -> regedit
navigate to the following key

HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/control/class/(4D36E965-??????)
The last 3 numbers are important. It is usually in the first 10 under this directory. Just look for the 965. You will find it.
You will be in the right directory if in the right side you see upper and lower filters. Sometimes there will be only 1 or the other.
Deleted the 2 keys upper and lower filters. As i said before there may only be 1 of them.

Afterwards reboot your computer. The DVD drives will reinstall the drivers and you should be all set.

Please post reply letting us know if this works for you

Hi Comior:
Yes it worked.
I thank you for the fast reply but I had gotten that info yesterday between DELL and Microsoft support.
I am telling everyone about this website.
All of the people that I have worked with are very knowledgeable and friendly.
Thanks again,
DaniWeb4Jim (Jim)

Hello Comior
My windows Vista spk 1 will not show the
upper and lower filters in the reg key : HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/control/class/(4D36E965-??????)

any suggestions ...help !

PcJake

This thread has not been marked solved for Windows Vista
"I can not see my DVD +/_ DVD Recorders " needs to be reopened
PcJake

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.