Here's where I am at:
This Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server Wont Show Desktop or Allow explorer.exe to be Launched.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Operating System:Windows 2003

Web Browser:Internet Explorer 8 (Upgraded during this round of trouble shooting after being told that IE and Explorer were tied to each other)

Memory:4GM

Networking:100BaseTX

Hard Drive:3x 36GB SCSI

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are the corrective actions taken so far...

1. Edited the registry to by adding HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs /v ObjectName /t REG_SZ /d LocalSystem

2. Renamed Shdocvw.dll to .dll shdocvw.old

3. bxomebc.exe process isn't running

4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ doesn't contain explorer.exe or iexplorer

What am I missing. This all happened after a normal weekly shutdown. Did something get installed by MS? Or do I have some Malware/Virus? Running AVG Server.

Checked HKLM and HCCU \Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Winlogon\ Shell=explorer.exe for both
Checked HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options niether explorer.exe. or iexplore.exe are listed

If I launch explorer from the run command the process shows up in Taskman for less than a couple of sec and then disappears.

Other issue I am running out of disk space on the boot drive, only 427MB left and cannot get in to run Easeus Partion Tool that is zipped.

Looking to install NTFSdos to get files deleted off the boot drive. From DOS they won't die.

Tryed running SFC /scannow. fixed some Windows files, but I keep getting the SP2 CD is wrong. I have copied the filed to the HD and changed the

I have logged in using LogMeIn and RDP, even as different users. Same result as console.

Anyone up for a HighJackThis log file??????

Bringing a new server online to move over all of my AD roles /DNS. Everything else has offsite storage.

Hate to loose my Terminal Server.

Still hoping something will give.

~matt

Try extracting explorer.exe from your setup disk cabs. Re-name existing explorer.exe > explorer.old. Replace explorer.exe with extracted one.

Thanks for the tip. I did something similar byt copying explorer thought from an XP box to the server in question. No response...

I found a wokring CD-Rom/ Floppy drive that fits this eServer. Ran the repair had a couple of hurdles to over come then and now I am being plagued with MMC not associated with installed products ans things like not being able to right click on My Computer and select Manage. It says there is not app associated with the request.

Currectly I am pleading for the server to come back up from as reboot after failing to install Windows Installer 4.5

Doing this remotely tonight. I have spent way to much time at this customers location since Sun morning.

Thx,
matt

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.