I am running XP professional.

I haven't received any updates since August 2008.

I have SP2 but nor SP3.

The Security center showed automatic update ON and I went to
check for the latest updates from windows updates.

I received a window which stated the site cannot continue because one or more
of these window services is not running.

Automatic Updates showed no Status and Startup Type as DISABLED.

I clicked on Automatic Updates and went to the Automatic Updates Properties.

I changed the startup type to AUTOMATIC and hit APPLY. The startup type did change
to AUTOMATIC and the start button worked

I set the service status to START but I didn't know what the start parameters should be.

I exited and received error message 1058:

"The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or becuase it has no enabled
devices associated with it."

Later when I tried to change the startup type from DISABLED to AUTOMATIC it wouldn't APPLY
and reverted to DISABLED.

Any ideas on how I can get updates, either automatically or manually?

Thanks,

John

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I am not sure what your issue is at the moment (first time I have heard of this happening), but have you tried opening your browser, going to the microsoft update website, and try to install that way? Let us know if it does it when you try the download through your browser.

Download what?

I went to the Windows update site.

I received a window which stated the site cannot continue because one or more
of these window services is not running.

The AUTOMATIC UPDATE service was
DISABLED and NOT STARTED.

The automatic update service could not be changed to automatic and started.

try this see if it helps ,i guess you can skip the part about stopping the autoupdate service,and go to part 2
It may be you have a virus!
==============
Method 1: Register the Wups2.dll file in Windows
To register the Wups2.dll file in Windows, follow these steps:
1. Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

b. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
net stop wuauserv

2. Register the Wups2.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:
a. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll

Note For a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll

b. Click OK on each verification message that you receive.

3. Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
net start wuauserv

Try "windows update fix" (http://wiki.castlecops.com/Windows_Update_Fix) It essentially reinstall, restarts, or reconfigures all the components required to do windows updates in one action, rather than you having to manually configure all of it. I've had great luck with it.

Hello,

if for some reason your internet explorer cannot connect to the network, then windows wont be able to update. The window updates using IE in the background.

One common reason for that, is that many people use another browser like Mozilla and BLOCK THE INTERNET EXPLORER THROUGH SOME 3rd PARTY FIREWALL THEY USE.

So simply check your firewall if u had it blocking internet explorer, and if so just allow IE to connect and then u will able to update.

For sure if u r using only the windows firewall, this could not be the case for u...

If you want to update your windows, I mean want service pack 3 then you easily download it from microsoft web site. its free.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.