I have a dell xps400 with an HL-DT-ST DVDRW DL burner. I am using Roxio Creator IO Dell edition, that came with the computer when i purchased it new 18 months ago.

It is a 3.2 gig with 2 gig ram. Lots of hard drive space avilable.

Prviously I have been able to use Roxio to create data discs on Verbatim DVD+R 4.7 discs.

Today when I started the Roxio RecordNow data program it would not recognize the DVD_R discs. I tried my 650meg cd recordable discs and they work fine.

I inserted a previously recorded disc in the burner and it will not play. I inserted the same disc in the dvd drive and it plays just fine.

I had not used the dvd burner for quite some time so I am not sure how long it has been out of comission.

I Checked the device manage for this drive and it says it is working properly.

Pawgy

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I am no expert here, and there are others that may help you better. I was just thinking basics here, since 18 months ago, did you do any software updates on your roxio software, and/or your OS?

If you only want to burn data dvd's, XP OS can do that without any 3rd party software.

thanks for trying. No rixo software up dates. Updated Adobeto 9.0. but did a system restore back 45 days which reverted bak to adobe 7.0 and still no luck.

Funny it works for cd's but not dvd's anymore.

Maybe you should then first go to the Roxio website and see if there are any updates available for your software?

Then also check for any critical updates on your Operating system, maybe you need to update drivers for your mo as well.

First try the updates if available, and then we can take it from there again.

Also !!! Treid windows multi media burner and it did same thing ,,, recognized cd but not DVD.

Maybe you should then first go to the Roxio website and see if there are any updates available for your software?

Then also check for any critical updates on your Operating system, maybe you need to update drivers for your mo as well.

First try the updates if available, and then we can take it from there again.

As i mentioned. It is not a Roxio problem as my windows dvd burn software does exact same thing. recognizes cd's but not dvd's. and it Roxio has worked many times in the past.

All critical os updates have been installed as needed.

Thanks Pawgy

Dell CD drives are just crap

My e510 has stopped reading DVD data disks, but movies are fine. CDRWs also have stopped working. Drive doesnt work in other PCs either

Just buy a new drive , thats what i did

dvd drives lens reads dvd and cd differently ,its possible as jbennet has said bad dvd drive , lens is bad/weak not strong enough to read /burn dvd anymore,18 mnts is along time if you burned a lot of dvd over that time.
also you maybe able to try cleaning the lens with cotton swab and rubbing alcohol

dvd drives lens reads dvd and cd differently ,its possible as jbennet has said bad dvd drive , lens is bad/weak not strong enough to read /burn dvd anymore,18 mnts is along time if you burned a lot of dvd over that time.
also you maybe able to try cleaning the lens with cotton swab and rubbing alcohol

Have ony use DVD for 6 data and Picture discs, Have used the cd many times.
I opened the dvd tray and looked inside with a flashlight but would not know haw to clean as i can not even see a lense in the small opening.

Thanks for your reply

Pawgy

it would require you having it removed from the case and taking it apart .cheaper to buy a new on maybe,as it may not even fix the problem

just buy a new one, they are $30 to $60 online

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.