I was running Windows ME with a 20gb HDD.. decided for an upgrade and got a 60gb hd to go along with the 20gb... now i got 80gb of space but all the Defult stuff is clogging up my 20gb hd... so i got xp and a nice clean install on to the 60gb hd and wiped out everything. Great!

I decided i wanted to try out linux since 60gb was enough space for my everyday aplications it would be cool to have linux on my 20gb to see how it is. Linux didnt run, just froze on me everytime i started it and i couldnt access my 60gb hd!! that had my windows XP on. I was worried that i have lost all my stuff off the 60 because of the linux install.

So just to be safe i took out the 60 (disconnected ide) and re-installed XP on to the 20gb. Now my computer is usable but without the space and without all my old stuff. Im on XP now on my 20gb and i connect my 60 to it as its running and it reconizes it. To my surprize all my First XP install is on there with all my stuff.

Great! now just swap the Master and Slave and reboot and it should work. But it doesnt.. it goes to thes Novell Netware and it cant find a boot.... (novell Netware came from linux some way or another)

The only way i can boot is if i disconnect the 60 and boot from the 20.

So i have 2 drives with 2 Windows XP installs (1 on each) i want the 60gb to boot and the other one to get erased.?

..... also when i boot anytime it takes a bit on startup before it goes into the Windows Xp load time... or goes to a Novell Netware.

EDIT: the linux was SuSE Linux 9.1 Personal

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

OKay, if windows XP can boot off either drive? which after reading that it can, and you're then finding that if you install mandrake on the 20gb drive and it freezes, what point does it freeze at? post? os kernal boot up? os boot up? gui bootup? also have you tried reinstalling mandrake this time go through each option and only install what you need, i have installed mandrake a few times, but not a mandrake expert by any means, when you get to the install software for section, only tick what you want.. when you select the networking options only select basic stuff ie ppp ip/tcp etc. when you get to the section about services disable stuff that isn't on your pc such as PCMCIA (i had to disable this one to get it working on my laptop).. more information would be helpful

Harry

Right now im on the 20gb with it all running fine. but i want the old stuff which is on the 60gb to boot... when im on the 20gb (like right now as i write this) i can see the 60gb in my computer with folders like Windows, Program files etc. just all the stuff thats on a regular install of windows. I can see it after i boot the 20gb and then connect it as its running (physicaly) but if i leave it connected and change the Master and Slave things on the drives so that the Master is the 60gb and the slave is the 20gb.... so it boots the master first to run windows off the 60gb...

So when i turn it on after the stuff i said above (the 60gb is the master and teh 20gb is the slave) it does on the Bios auto detecting and says stuff for a few split seconds then on the next screen instead of the Windows load screen with the green bar going accross (blue if its SP2) it goes to a some other screen that sasy Novel Netware (in simple text) and some other stuff and then starts a "count up" to 5 and then searches for boot from floppy and then CD and then IDE but never works... Then says press <home> to boot from local drive and I do that but just sits there and repeats it everytime i hit home.

boot the 60 with out the 20 in and what happens !!?????

This is what it does when i boot just with the 60gb connected and as Master
(after the detecting and bios)

Novell Netware Ready Firmware v1.00 (940809)
(C) Copyright 1991-1994 Novell, Inc. All Rights Reserved
SiS 900/7016 PCI Adapters Dos ODI Driver v1.05 (990410)
(C) Copyright 1998 SiS Corp. All Rights Reserved

RPL-ROM-ADR: 00D0 0973 BA83
RPL-ROM-IRQ: 5
RPL-ROM-PIO: D400
RPL-ROM-SLT: 14

RPL-ROM-FFC: 5
Searching for boot record from floppy..Not Found
Searching for boot record from CDROM..Not Found
Searching for boot record from Network..OK

Press <home> key to boot from local Drive
Boot Failure
Insert Boot Diskette in A:
Press Any Key when ready

Searching Boot From IDE..OK
Invalid Partition table

This is all in plan black and white text (black background, white text)
Novell Netware comes from the Suse Linux install because thats the site i got Suse from.
When it says its OK boot record from Network im not even on a network except the internet so i dont see why

This screen some times happens when i have the 20gb connected as Master to but only sometimes.. hasnt happend often.

All this problem might be even physical like if my drives are connected right or such... but it should be ok...

Unless Linux messed up the "computer" not the HDDs.

maybe try booting to the winxp cd and run a repair on the 60

You can change the slave/master drive etc. Also install an easy OS on the 20gb, then when the dual boot screen comes up go in to the Windows partiton. From there you should be in the OS, Then you can back up all your files, and install the distro you feel best with.

I booted the Windows Xp cd with just the 60gb connected and it went into the usuall startup (blue and white). i went to repair and did the 60gb. All it gives me is C:\windows>

What do i type in there or what do i do....
I typed help to get my commands but my graphics is messed so it doesnt display all the characters right so i miss type.

... the Novell Netware thing comes Right after the detecting of the drives at the begining if the 60gb is the master. or boot.

this is so frustrating please help... and thanx for the help so far.

I booted the Windows Xp cd with just the 60gb connected and it went into the usuall startup (blue and white). i went to repair and did the 60gb. All it gives me is C:\windows>

What do i type in there or what do i do....
I typed help to get my commands but my graphics is messed so it doesnt display all the characters right so i miss type.

... the Novell Netware thing comes Right after the detecting of the drives at the begining if the 60gb is the master. or boot.

this is so frustrating please help... and thanx for the help so far.

it should be, 1 c:\windows > right, type in the numper 1
anyway ,check this out .
Microsoft

did everything i think i could have...

Bootcfg
fixboot

im so tired of this....

please dont give up. I mean giving up solves nothing. If i gave up on setting up all my wireless netowrk F* up's i wouldnt be here right now. lol. Things jsut go down, and some go up. Work on it, im sure you can figure it out in time. Format both drive's or better yet, heres what i would do, put the harddrive you need in another box or w.e you can do to back up all files etc. (w/out the other hd even plugged in etc.) then format it to what ever you want. Then format both drives. ok. Worked for me.

the problem is novell firmware...check your partitions/clear cmos( remove battery)and make sure u completely remove all fat patitions. When installing any cdrw( or 3rd party) software this may cause a error as hardware installed incorrectly...before installing any third party software after OS install make recovery/restore point. Good luck

Boot the drive in question (with only that drive connected) with the XP cd then choose to repair with the recovery console. In the console choose your windows install as you have and use the command "fixmbr". You want be able to access any other OS on that drive unless you made previous boot disk. FYI in the future install the Linux boot program of your choice on the "superblock" of the Linux partition and not to the MBR of you drive. Here's a link to a successful install setup I have run for years, will work with all flavors of Linux.
http://www.geocities.com/jtarin47/dualboot.htm

Boot the drive in question (with only that drive connected) with the XP cd then choose to repair with the recovery console. In the console choose your windows install as you have and use the command "fixmbr". You want be able to access any other OS on that drive unless you made previous boot disk. FYI in the future install the Linux boot program of your choice on the "superblock" of the Linux partition and not to the MBR of you drive. Here's a link to a successful install setup I have run for years, will work with all flavors of Linux.
http://www.geocities.com/jtarin47/dualboot.htm

The queston is if you try to make the 60gb hhd your master is fails? When you make the 20bg hhd your master it boots up fine.

I believe he has tried the repair of the master boot record and failed.

So if he deletes the partition(superblock) of Linux or Novell he can remove the fault errors upon boot of the 20gb hhd?
Is the partion on novell netware fat 16/32? Is his xp install NTFS or FAt?

I'm having a similar problem with the Novell Netware Ready Firmware on my system. I'm not sure how it was installed on there, but I want to get rid of it.

As far as I can tell, though, the software is part of the network pxe boot, and is built into the BIOS. I flashed the bios, reset the cmos on my system, and it's still there. There aren't any hard drives attached to the system, and it's still coming up. Removing the network cable from the system doesn't get rid of it either, it's still coming up, so it isn't some sort of software downloading from the server. Any ideas?

P.S. sorry to crash the thread, but it sounded like he was having the same problem i was.

have u tried to reformat the hdd

I reformatted hdd. The problem is in the boot sector of the hdd.

Alright, so I finally figured out the problem and was able to fix it. It seems that there is a separate firmware built into the nic itself, with it's own setup options. However, the window that tells you how to enter that setup screen was only coming up sporatically at best, and only stayed on screen for a few moments, so it was only after sheer dumb luck that i was able to get into that setup screen and change the options from an RPL boot back to a PXE boot.

-Kevin

hi regarding the errors i just got the same problem. can you explain the keystrokes to go to the setup screen or just tell me what you did to solve the problem?

Novell Netware Ready Firmware v1.00 (940809)
(C) Copyright 1991-1994 Novell, Inc. All Rights Reserved
SiS 900/7016 PCI Adapters Dos ODI Driver v1.05 (990410)
(C) Copyright 1998 SiS Corp. All Rights Reserved

Pretty old topic you revived ;).

erm i do believe they went into the cmos setup and in the boot order removed network boot from the list and left CD-rom at top followed by hard drive (the one the boot loader was installed too?)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.