I just formatted the hard drive with one partition and installed WIN98SE, 4.10 2222A.

When the program boots it gets to the initial screen and then crashes the system. It has never really fully installed itself.

Just prior to the boot to windows I get the error message: There is an error in your config.sys file on line 2

There is also another warning that states: The following file is missing or corrupted: A:\VIDE-CDD.SYS.

The machine will boot in a safe mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

It looks like your config.sys is looking for cdrom drivers on the floppy when you boot to the hard drive...

If you have the file... Copy it to the root directory of the hard drive
Edit your config.sys line 2 to read...

DEVICE=C:\VIDE-CDD.SYS

If you do not have the the file or the ability to edit the config.sys then...

Here is a file with what you can use to replace your startup...
It includes generic CD Rom Drivers

Unzip these to a floppy and copy them to the root of the non-working PC..
Replace any existing files... and reboot

Thank you kindly for you assistance.

I did as you said with the zipped file and put them in the root (C) directory. I made sure that they were there and also made sure that the second line in the config.sys file addressed that the files were in the root i. e. DEVICE=C:\VIDE-CDD.SYS.

I then rebooted (no errors this time) and when the program went to update the system files it got partially through that and then closed the windows opening page and reverted back to DOS with the message: Windows Protection Error - Press any key to restart program.

So, it appears that something else in going on. At present I'm reinstalling the entire WIN98SE but do not hold out for any success.

Thanks for your talents.

Logger

It looks like your config.sys is looking for cdrom drivers on the floppy when you boot to the hard drive...

If you have the file... Copy it to the root directory of the hard drive
Edit your config.sys line 2 to read...

DEVICE=C:\VIDE-CDD.SYS

If you do not have the the file or the ability to edit the config.sys then...

Here is a file with what you can use to replace your startup...
It includes generic CD Rom Drivers

Unzip these to a floppy and copy them to the root of the non-working PC..
Replace any existing files... and reboot

There is an issue with AMD processors running over 350mhz where you had to clock them down and apply a patch before clocking them back up...

Are you running an AMD K6 350+ ?

Just a thought...

You are absolutely right about the upgrade. It was to my understanding that the AMD update is applicable to WIN95. I'm going to go back to scratch and reinstall WIN95 and then upgrade to WIN98SE.

WIN98SE allows for you to do this without a full install of WIN95 if you verify that you have the original CD WIN95 installation disk. However, I feel that something is missing doing it this way as I don't have the chance to apply the AMD patch because it is only recognized by WIN95.

Yes, excellent call on the AMP CPU. I do have the K6-2/500. 2.2V core - 3.3 I/O - 1998 chip. This is just my back up system that doesn't appear to be backing up much these days, eh!

The main system is a 2.4G CPU running XP Professional.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. You are a big plus to this forum/board.

Logger

There is an issue with AMD processors running over 350mhz where you had to clock them down and apply a patch before clocking them back up...

Are you running an AMD K6 350+ ?

Just a thought...

Just a suggestion...

Slow it down to 300 install everything then bring it back up...

You are right that it is a 95 issue and not 98 but because of how you are installing it as a 95/98 upgrade, that may be what is tripping the system error.

By clocking it down and getting 98 in place and working before you bring it up to 500mhz you can get a full install of 98 which does not have the glitch...

And thanks,
It is nice to be appreciated...

Not bad for an old fart of 50+ eh?

Your suggestion hit a home run. I clocked it down to 300Mhz as you suggested and there was not a glitch after that.

I just wish that I had remembered that a few days ago as it would have saved me a lot of grief because even though I could get the AMD patch and put it on a floppy it would not work either in the Safe mode.

The ultimate solution is to crank down the CPU.

Many thanks from another 50+ and Happy Holidays!

Just a suggestion...

Slow it down to 300 install everything then bring it back up...

You are right that it is a 95 issue and not 98 but because of how you are installing it as a 95/98 upgrade, that may be what is tripping the system error.

By clocking it down and getting 98 in place and working before you bring it up to 500mhz you can get a full install of 98 which does not have the glitch...

And thanks,
It is nice to be appreciated...

Not bad for an old fart of 50+ eh?

Glad to hear it worked and you now have your backup system functioning again...

Happy Holidays,

Hello,

I am booting from USB CD ROM. I have a *.GHO image which needs to be deployed into the Hard drive. I am using the files which are required to boot from USB CD ROM. I am able to boot in my system but, the problem is I am not able to boot from my target system (AMD Processor). It shows that the Config.sys file and Command.com file is missing or corrupted which works fine in my system(DELL).

Is this problem related to AMD processor??? Coz the above solutions were talking abt AMD processor.

Regards
Michells

Hello Dude,

Thanks for your reply. But the problem is whatever files I am using to boot from USB is working perfectly in my system. I am able to boot using these files. I problem is that I am not able to boot it from AMD Processor. It shows the error as "Missing or corrupted file in Config.sys line 2".

Please help me out from this.

Regards
Michells

Hello Dude,

Thanks for your reply. But the problem is whatever files I am using to boot from USB is working perfectly in my system. I am able to boot using these files. I problem is that I am not able to boot it from AMD Processor. It shows the error as "Missing or corrupted file in Config.sys line 2".

Please help me out from this.

Regards
Michells

Open your CONFIG.SYS file and see what is on line 2 :)

Use your windows search to find the file "config.sys" (*The one in yoiur WINDOWS directory*) and then look @ line 2 and tell us what it is,you may just need to remove the entry.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.