Hi all. I'm new here. I started having internet problems about 2 weeks ago. I have a cable connection. I use a D-Link router. I get connected to the internet for 10 min and then it disconnects. I use to be able to stay connected for 30 min. I would have to restart the computer to connect again for only 10 min though. I have restarted the router and modem multiple times, but the same thing happens. I have turned off all firewall as well, but still cannot hold a connection. I have AVG running. I've run AVg, HijackThis, Malware, and Ad-Aware and found not threats.

The problem first started when I went to this website http://ggpo.net/ and downloaded the software. I attempted to open the ports required on the router. I changed the router settings and then my internet died. I had to reboot the router back to factory settings. Again, I can connect to the internet for 10 min and then have to restart.

I have called the ISP and they say the modem is running fine. I have connected directly to the cable modem without the router and go the same results, 10 min internet. There's another computer connected to the router as well and the internet works fine on that computer. I have tried different ethernet cords. My Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is set to obtain ip address automatically.

I have found a tedious "solution" to maintain connection. I have two ethernet slots. If I connect one slot and turn the computer on. It won't connect. When I insert the other ethernet cord in, then it stays connected. Both slots have cords going to the router. I usually just use one slot only. This was just experimenting/desperation. When I restart, though, I only stay connected for 10 min again.

Please help? Do I need a new NIC?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Ask your ISP what thier DHCP lease interval is

Maybe its a really short lease which is not renewing?

I will try, but would this matter if the other computer is able to connect to the internet? I have also tried disconnecting the other computer and just having mine connected.

ah right yeah sounds like a driver/configuration issue then

i may have misunderstood, but if one NIC is working ok then the other has a fault. If it is a dchp time out then time it. Cutouts will be almost exactly the same length.

Would it be helpful if I run superscan and what is UPnP? Oh, and btw, it's a wired router.

Would it be helpful if I run superscan and what is UPnP? Oh, and btw, it's a wired router.

I can't hurt to run SS, although I believe microsoft have
removed raw sockets support which now limits SuperScan and many other network scanning tools.

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a set of computer protocols promulgated by the UPnP Forum. The goals of UPnP are to allow devices to connect seamlessly and to simplify the implementation of networks in the home (data sharing, communications, and entertainment) and in corporate environments for simplified installation of computer components. UPnP achieves this by defining and publishing UPnP device control protocols built upon open, Internet-based communication standards.

Have you had any success or any new devleopments?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.