This is an odd thing that I have never seen before. When I restart this computer everything boots up just fine. Same thing when I hit the reset button on the front of the box. BUT, when I shut down the computer entirely and press the power button to start it up, I get this message:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I have it set to the defaults where it looks for the floppy first, then the HDD, then CD. I changed these around to see if putting the HDD first would make a difference, but no such luck.

Windows XP SP3
AMD DUO 4800
2gb Ram
80gb 5400rpm HDD

Thanx!
L5

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Does it have a floppy drive Is a disk in there? Older systems defaulted to look at the floppy first

Does it have a floppy drive Is a disk in there? Older systems defaulted to look at the floppy first

No, I don't think I even own a floppy disk anymore. There are no CDs or anything that should confuse the startup.

So how do you get it to boot upon power loss? I would try and upgrade the cmos defiantly sounds like a cmos problem, I wonder if somehow it's getting reset when you shut the computer down

Upon power loss, the reboot is exactly like a shutdown and gives me the same message. What do I need to do to upgrade the CMOS?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.