Hi,

I have this problem - my backup drive has 240GB size, it is almost full just 6GB remains and when calculating size in Total Commander (CTRL+L) in root for all files and folders selected, it reports 64GB used space. Is there a disk map tool which could localize missing space?

Thanks for any tips!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Have you looked at

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management

That will tell you exactly how your disk is set up. There may be more than one partition and indeed the other partition could be hidden.

Total commander says:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total space occupied:
64 222 842 667 bytes in 130 247 File(s),
in 11 750 directories
Actual space used (considering cluster size) on source drive: 64 554 205 184 Bytes
Required on target drive: 64 554 205 184 Bytes
d:\: 5 224 676 k of 244 196 000 free
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
244GB total, 5GB free, 64GB user - what the hell is going on with my disc?

May be only 69 GB is partitioned, and the remain is not!
Go to :

and post here what you see!

May be only 69 GB is partitioned, and the remain is not!
Go to :

and post here what you see!

Here is screenshot from manager - so am I dumb, or is there something wrong ?

I'm not sure anyone understands whether you have a problem to be solved.

Total Commander and Disk Management agree on your available disk space. You could view that free space in the analysis window of disk defeagmenter.

or what is it you want us to advise on?

Ok everything seems fine on DMGT.
Check for hidden files by showing hidden folders and even system folders (Be careful to do nothing with any folder just check properties to get what they occupy) If nothing found I woud suspect malevolent software invasion

I'm not sure anyone understands whether you have a problem to be solved.

Total Commander and Disk Management agree on your available disk space. You could view that free space in the analysis window of disk defeagmenter.

or what is it you want us to advise on?

240Gigs total, 5 free, 64 used (total commander), I need find out where is 190Gigs of my drive space? Check disk reports averything is OK.

.. And what does Windows Explorer report?

What does a belt and braces look at what's below the root reveal in terms of used count (including hidden & system files)?

What does the DEFRAG analysis tell you?

total commander doesnt count shadow copies and system restore points

remove old ones via the second tab under disk cleanup.

total commander doesnt count shadow copies and system restore points

remove old ones via the second tab under disk cleanup.

On Windows 7 I found it does not report other profiles on the system. I was looking all over for 70GB and could not make any sense of what windows explorer and disk manager were reporting. A great tool to graphically see what is on your HDD is Spacemonger. It was also reporting that I only had 30GB left on a 150GB HDD. I did not see the other profiles until I ran Spacemonger as administrator.

I agree with jbennet. Tru opening System Properties and disable System Restore. Then, run Disk Cleanup and delete all junk files reported (this can take some time depending on how many files are to be cleaned). Run chkdsk /f and reboot system. Once you've rebooted, check the free space and post back what happens

Hi merfy,
You have given advise to a poster in an old thread (Aug 20th, 2009) He was asked to post back then and he still has not.

Hi merfy,
You have given advise to a poster in an old thread (Aug 20th, 2009) He was asked to post back then and he still has not.

Ignore him. He is just another spammer. Posted virtually the same thing in a number of old threads.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.