We have a G wireless router that works well with all of our XP computers. Just purchased an HP with Vista Home Premium SP1 with a built in N wireless router. It does not communicate with the G wireless router. Internet is fine when hard wired to our comcast modem. Any ideas or suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

thats wierd because it should be backward compatible.

What encryption are you using. Does it see the network at all? You hiding the SSID? MAC filtering?

What encryption are you using. Does it see the network at all? You hiding the SSID? MAC filtering?

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. Sadly, I'm not as good with computers as you. I just know enough to be dangerous. Would you be able to tell me how to find out about encryption, hiding SSID, MAC filtering?

Okay the SSID is what the wireless network is called. It is the name you see when you go into "view available wireless networks" in windows.

I am asking whether the network (or indeed any networks) is shown in this menu.

I am also asking whether your network has a thing called SSID hiding enabled. This makes it so the network is invisible, to connect to it, you must know its name already, and it is not listed i the connect to network screen.

Thirdly, i am asking you which security you have enabled. Wireless encryption (like a password) means you need the correct key in order to connect. As a further security measure, routers can also be set up to block access from unknown network adapters using a unqiue number on each adapter called the MAC.

I am asking which of any of these measures you use, as they could be causing your problem.

I agree with all above but would also say that some routers / laptops / wireless connectors have to have a button pushed within a very limited time frame to allow the first connetion set up to work. the Orange 'livebox' is typical of this. Are all units actually in receive mode,
but I do defer to jbennet....
M

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.