I need to know if Office 97 (full version) can be loaded & operated on Windows XP before I buy new software. (Bought new computer, lost key to my old Office 97) Thanks, mhmac

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Sure...no reason why not. I've done it before to be honest and it worked with just some minor errors (mostly because the user was into modifying things he shouldn't have been...) :rolleyes:

Sure...no reason why not. I've done it before to be honest and it worked with just some minor errors (mostly because the user was into modifying things he shouldn't have been...) :rolleyes:

I have done the same but I'm having problems with Access not working as its saying I'm out of Memory. All the other office programs run under XP Pro, but not Access and I don't no why?

I have done the same but I'm having problems with Access not working as its saying I'm out of Memory. All the other office programs run under XP Pro, but not Access and I don't no why?

More than likely because of some security configuration. Database programs are usually pretty finnicky, and can give you such problems.

I know it's pricey, but from a security standpoint, you guys should really upgrade to Office 2003. One of these days, you'll get a Word or Excel file that has some nasty macro in it, and you'll wish you'd have followed the advice I'm suggesting to you now...

Nope . . . You must go to Office 2003 to make ACCESS WORK . . . From experience and Specs . . .

I have Office 97 working with Windows XP SP2 too until lately in November 2007 certain Windows XP automatic Update (Don't know which one) casued Word 97 to loop. Then an Internet Explorer window pop up telling me that Office 97 is no longer supported and I must upgrade. I wish I knew which patch disabled Office 97 then I would like to back out the patch.

So, for those of you still have Office 97 working in Windows XP, don't turn on the Windows XP automatic update.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.