Mine is amd sempron 2500+ processor, 256mb ram and i am using win xp,sp2. whenvever i install any antivirus the operation of the system slows down by huge amount. That too just after the booting i would not be able to perform any operations for 2-5 minutes.. Is it because amd is 64 bit processor and xp is for 32 bit processor that my system is super slow. is there any 64 bit processor compatible version of xp.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It's not the processor, you need to add more RAM.

Agreed. More RAM will halve your boot time (according to my experience).

If you're using Norton AV, that can be processor intensive. The best systems these days have dual core and then it doesn't really matter because the other core can be used by your application.

more ram for sure ,at least add another 512

yup. If its an oldish PC 512 may the max it supports. Also a sempron aint the fastest CPU ever. Also aint a 5200 only like 1.2ghz or something?

Time to buy a new pc lol

Is it because amd is 64 bit processor and xp is for 32 bit processor that my system is super slow.

no. (virtually all current CPUs support 64 bit mode in fact)

is there any 64 bit processor compatible version of xp.

yup but you dont need it and its crap.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.