Any help with my problem would be gratefully accepted.
I have a Compaq Presario 5116EA with Intel Celeron X86 Family 6 Model 8 Processor 797 MHz. I have upgraded to Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 2 and added 256 mb of memory, increasing it to 512mb by adding a PC133 CL2, Non ECC, Non-parity, unbuffered stick to the original crucial PC133u 133 MHz stick. This was checked by crucial software to ensure correct memory added . Since then my PC freezes very regularly. The Event Viewer in the 'system' folder with the source 'acpi' shows the folowing error for each 'freeze':
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x75), which lies in the 0x74 - 0x76 protected address range. This could lead to system instability
It locks up much less often when I try just the 1 stick of 256 mb ( be it with the original or just the new one)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Since Windows NT 4, Windows has become very picky about memory. The memory has to be of very good quality and the DIMMS must match. The other thing you might try is putting the newest memory chip in the DIMM0 slot and put the older one in DIMM1.

Since Windows NT 4, Windows has become very picky about memory. The memory has to be of very good quality and the DIMMS must match. The other thing you might try is putting the newest memory chip in the DIMM0 slot and put the older one in DIMM1.

Thank you for your reply Ken. Sadly I have tried swapping the memory sticks and am fairly confident that the memory, both old and new, are a match as I used crucial's memory checking tool for my pc. Thankyou again for your time

try to load the default settings of your BIOS..check if it will help..

Thank you for your reply cguan. I'm not sure what you mean by loading the default settings of the BIOS. I have gone into the BIOS by pressing F10 and selected 'save and exit' but there's nothing else I can see that I feel I could change and help (in my ignorance).
I have checked with Compaq's website for Upgrades and the latest Rompaq (apparently that's what Compaq call the BIOS) upgrade is what is on my PC but I did reinstall it just in case.

Have you tried replacing your old stick with the new one? run on the new 256 alone for while to see if you have any problems?

Yes, I have tried both the old and the new stick on their own and it very rarely crashes with either. In fact it runs quite merrily but I would like to get it to run with 512 mb of memory if I could.
Whenever I double it up to 512 mb I get the described
'AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x75), which lies in the 0x74 - 0x76 protected address range. This could lead to system instability' error that freezes the PC. This happens regardless of which stick is in either slot.
As mentioned in my earlier post, I have verified with Crucial that the memory matches.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.