Hey guys..
I'm in a desperate situation.

So.. here's what happened.
I was drinking water while on my laptop.. when I accidently
spilled some water on my keyboard.
As Soon as that happened, my computer automatically shut down with an error message that read something like the system has been halted..I can't really remember what it said. Then I panicked and just shut down my laptop manually by pressing on the ON/OFF button.
Then I cleaned up all the water and tried drying my laptop with
hair dryer. Couple of hours passed, and I tried booting my laptop..
it didn't work. It didn't boot, and instead had some error message and it started running some tests on its own..
and the test for the hardware read 'fail' but memory, screen, and etc. all read 'passed.'
I didn't know what those meant.. so I just shut down the computer again.. and waited until the next day to try booting it.
So now.. my laptop boots up perfectly fine but the internet would not work! I thought everything was okay since the water was all dried now.. and my computer boots up and everything works fine....
but the INTERNET WONT WORK =( I use wireless internet connection by the way.
So I clicked on support and did 'ipconfig' and it states that
my media state is 'disconnected.'
Now, I tried everything to make this thing to connect... such as
using that winfix program, re-installing the protocals, switching from using intel PROset to windows to manage Wi-Fi....
but NOTHING WORKS.
Now I'm thinking that it's due to my hardware damage.
Is there any other way that I can do to fix this problem?
Will re-installing XP help?
Or is this a permanent hardware damage (due to water spill) and do I just need to get a new laptop?

HELP! and THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

good luck.you could try a system restore back to a time before the spill.also check in device manager to make sure the devices in networking are still ok,
device manager=
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

also check this
http://www.google.ca/search?q=media+state+is+%27disconnected.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

thank you for your quick reply.. however, I did try going to other websites for any help.. but either I could not understand how to follow the steps to solve the problem or none of the solutions posted worked..
I'm almost now certain that it's due to my hardware damage.. which.. in this case no other software will be able to fix it, right? SIGH

good luck.you could try a system restore back to a time before the spill.also check in device manager to make sure the devices in networking are still ok,
device manager=
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

also check this
http://www.google.ca/search?q=media+state+is+%27disconnected.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

So.. here's what I did.
I hold onto the windows key and pressed R, and I went to the Network adapters.
It lists:
1) 1394 Net Adapter
2) Braodcom 440x 10/100 integrated Controller
3) Intel(R) PRO/wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

and when I go to the Network Connections,
there's the red X on Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection.
There are no yellow ?'s or !'s.... it says 1394 Connection is Connected, Firewalled.

So.. How can I restore system restore back to a time before the spill?
thanks so much for helping, btw!

So.. here's what I did.
I hold onto the windows key and pressed R, and I went to the Network adapters.
It lists:
1) 1394 Net Adapter
2) Braodcom 440x 10/100 integrated Controller
3) Intel(R) PRO/wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

and when I go to the Network Connections,
there's the red X on Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection.
There are no yellow ?'s or !'s.... it says 1394 Connection is Connected, Firewalled.

So.. How can I restore system restore back to a time before the spill?
thanks so much for helping, btw!

you can right click on the 1394 Net Adapter and disable it ,its a firewire device and not likely you are using it for the net!
for the red X in network connection right click on it and chose repair ,see what happens ..

if you have to do a restore back to before the spill go to START/ all programs /accessories/system tools /system restore ,pick a date just before the spill

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.