This is a 2 part question: Microsoft says that the windows 7 beta will "expire" in May '09. Does this mean that there is something within the software that will cause it to not run anymore after that date unless you purchase it? Also, what's the latest on 64-bit in general? I've read older threads that describe the problems with drivers (or lack thereof) and compatibility issues with 32-bit programs. Is that presently still the case? I would have assumed that 64-bit systems would be backwards compatible with any 32-bit program... ? So anyways should I wait a little longer before going 64?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

14 views and no replies? oK forget the first part. How about just the question of 64-bit. Would it be wise to stay with 32 until later?

From MS:
"The Beta will stop working on August 1, 2009. To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or a subsequent release of Windows 7 before the expiration date. You won't be able to upgrade from the Beta to the final retail version of Windows 7. "
64 bit is here to stay. I've read that many, if not most, new computers come with 64 bit CPUs. As for drivers, the situation has improved a great deal in the last few years. I had a lot of problems with Vista x64, but none with Windows 7 on the same hardware.
In short, if you have a 64 bit CPU, go for it.

From MS:
"The Beta will stop working on August 1, 2009. To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or a subsequent release of Windows 7 before the expiration date. You won't be able to upgrade from the Beta to the final retail version of Windows 7. "
64 bit is here to stay. I've read that many, if not most, new computers come with 64 bit CPUs. As for drivers, the situation has improved a great deal in the last few years. I had a lot of problems with Vista x64, but none with Windows 7 on the same hardware.
In short, if you have a 64 bit CPU, go for it.

I do have a 64-bit cpu. It's a Phenom quad-core 2.5 ghz. I just don't like vista at all. It's overkill. So if it's between xp pro 64 or windows 7 beta which would you suggest?

I like Windows 7 for its speed and (so far) stability, and the fact that it's the future of Windows computing for at least a few years.
I've found this site very helpful, and I'm sure there are more:
http://www.planetamd64.com/

You ask the real question. I'm using XP Pro 64 no problems. When I get some time (not in a hurry), I'll try what you've tried to put up a dual boot of Windows 7 x64 Beta.

In your position I would go for the tried and trusted XP 64 (or Vista 64 for that matter - Vista as a whole is fine now).

The basis for that recommendation is that Vista was crap till SP1; you won't want to be on Windows 7 until the snags are ironed out.

My 64 cents worth.

Once the Beta expires Aug. 1, the Beta will become inactive and you will not be able to access it. You will need to reinstall Vista if you went with the upgrade method or delete the Win7 partition if you dual booted and revert to your previous OS. As to your questions about 64bit vs. 32bit, here are two articles you should take a look at: http://osnews.com/story/20817/Should_You_Move_to_64Bit_ , http://i.gizmodo.com/5133771/why-you-should-go-64+bit-with-windows-7?skyline=true&s=i
I hope this helps!

Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

This is a 2 part question: Microsoft says that the windows 7 beta will "expire" in May '09. Does this mean that there is something within the software that will cause it to not run anymore after that date unless you purchase it?

It will cease to let you use it at all, or go into some form of reduced functionality mode. This is what trial copies of windows OSes and unactivated copies of windows do, so I assume that 7 is the same. You wont be able to just buy it, youll need to clean install.

Also, what's the latest on 64-bit in general? I've read older threads that describe the problems with drivers (or lack thereof) and compatibility issues with 32-bit programs. Is that presently still the case? I would have assumed that 64-bit systems would be backwards compatible with any 32-bit program... ? So anyways should I wait a little longer before going 64?

Vista 64 bit has far less driver problems than "XP Pro x64" did. Just make sure all your drivers are signed.

You ask the real question. I'm using XP Pro 64 no problems. When I get some time (not in a hurry), I'll try what you've tried to put up a dual boot of Windows 7 x64 Beta.

In your position I would go for the tried and trusted XP 64

NO NO NO. XP 64 is terrible. Its based off Server 2003 so its hard to get drivers and some programs working on it. And XP will be dead in a few years. You arent going to even be able to buy it in 6 months time.

read that many, if not most, new computers come with 64 bit CPUs.

not strictly true. The original CoreDuo (but not the D or the Core2Duo) and the Pentium M didnt support 64 bit.

Get vista.

I note that jbennet was highly selective in the comments he tried to shoot down.

Windows XP64 isn't terrible (my comment is a user experience who doesn't care a jot about Windows Server 2003 pedigree) - but Vista 64 is fine, as I said.

But the piece of advice he didn't comment upon, and which I believe is of greatest value to you, is not to make Windows 7 your main system until its SP1 or whatever is released.

Windows 7 is basically vista SP3. There isnt any point waiting until SP1 because there is virtually no major changes to the kernel. The majority of tweaks are to the userland, so there isnt much to go wrong. The RC is pretty stable as it is.

I would still urge caution and wait one service pack into Windows 7.

jbennet's case is founded on expressions like XP 64 is approx. Windows Server 2003, so it's bad (which it isn't); and Windows 7 is founded on the unreleased as yet Vista SP3. That's all vapour stuff and in real life, Windows releases settle down after the first SP.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong in time.

Ok, well lets start with windows 7 expiration

windows 7, being a beta, has a build in "time bomb"

this means that, come august 1st, you will not be able to use windows 7 anymore, because you cannot upgrade it past the point it is now, i dont know if it will even boot.

as for 64 bit vs 32 bit

The fact is, windows 7 is set to be the LAST 32 bit operating system, almost every new computer on the market is 64 bit, notice i said ALMOST every one. Compatibility issues with 7 are present, but it is still beta, most vista drivers will work, and companies like nvidia have drivers for 7 already.

the big jump from vista to 7 is in the middle and outer workings of the operating system so far.

inner workings are the kernel
middle workings are the services that run the computer and help to control it
outer workings are the user interface

microsoft wanted to get the most talked about issues first, going for the user interface and speed issues and fixing UAC (nice job on that BTW)

The next big problem windows faces is the kernel size, they want to decrease the size of the windows kernel, making overall speed increase at amazing rates and startup / shutdown times enhanced.)

they are also working out some stability issues that originated in windows vista due to ram errors as some of you may noticed, upon the installation of vista x64 with a certain amount of ram you would get a blue screen during boot, fixed by removing one stick of ram until installation was finished.

as for my preferance, i like windows 7, BUT me and 5 of my friends, having all downloaded it at the same time, adding it to our vista systems as a dual boot and running it, awesomely for a while, all went back to vista, i cannot say why, it may be that all of our programs are on vista, or that some wireless cards tend to stop working after an hour or so and the machine needs restarted, im not sure, but...

VISTA X64 ALL THE WAY!

agreed.

And yeah you are probably right about win7 being the last 32 bit OS.

Because server 2008 R2 and windows server 7 will be 64 bit only, and MS are aiming to keep windows the same codebase across the board (e.g basing server 2008 on vista sp1)

Sucks for me though. Ive got the original CoreDuo (read: not core2) which is basically a dual core pentium M, so no EMT64, hw virtualisation or anything :( so i cant use any cool new ms goodies like Hyper-V

its only a year and a half old, and its non-upgradable (laptop)

ah, yes, that sucks... pcs tend to get old within a few months, for instance, my brother, having built his computer with a dual core, was outdone by me 2 months later with a quad core, followed by a friend of ours a couple months later with a better pc.

lol

yeah. stupid intel. lol, my pentium 4 even has 64 bit....

Have you seen that microsoft have now stopped letting people download the Win7 beta? Can anyone mail me a disk (UK people please) . I have a key already just no media.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.