Hi guys.

Have got a little problem when trying to view the internet. Basically, around 10 minutes after I first start browsing, Internet Explorer (And Firefox) just seem to stop working. The internet is still connected as I can still talk on MSN or use Spotify etc, I just can't browse the web. I can restart the PC and Internet Explorer will work again for around 10 mins, before I have to restart and so on and so forth.

I first noticed this happening around one week ago. I have tried the following to try and fix the problem but nothing:

AVG Virus Scan
Spybot S&D
Lavsoft Ad-aware
Malwarebytes

As none of them worked I then did a bit google searching and it seemed that this was a common problem, although I couldn't find a solution to fix the problem. Some folk on other threads/websites suggested:

Removing a Windows update (I did, but nothing changed)
Uninstalling Firefox (Again, I did this but still the same)
Removing my ISP provided proxy (Done this but nothing).

Does anyone on here have anything I can try to fix this problem. I require the internet for college studying and it's starting to really bug me now having to restart the PC every 10 mins.

My PC is a HP Pavillion Slimline, running Vista 32-bit. My ISP is Virgin Media and i'm using AVG anti-virus and Zonealarm firewall. Any other info required please ask.

Cheers guys.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

try repairing the network card by right clicking on the two computers icon and press something like Diagnose and Repair. If that doesn't work update the network card drivers. Also replace ZoneAlarm with Comodo Firewall(way better)

try repairing the network card by right clicking on the two computers icon and press something like Diagnose and Repair. If that doesn't work update the network card drivers. Also replace ZoneAlarm with Comodo Firewall(way better)

^ Won't work. This problem has been doing the rounds with people posting about it since 07. It is a vista problem and I've yet to see a fix for it.

do you have an XP disc?

do you have an XP disc?

I did originally install XP on my laptop without the abovementioned problem. Unfortunately some of the features on the laptop (buttons/webcam/mic) have vista-only drivers.

Going on nearly 8 months now and this problem still exists.

try getting firefox from another pc and install it.

This isn't a firefox problem. This happens regardless of what browser is being used and seems to stem from the way Vista handles the http protocol. For example when the browsers go awol other non-http connections (like https, torrents, pop, etc.) still function normally.

I have recreated this problem when trying a vista re-install to a partition. No such problems with either a linux or an XP install.

Oh, cr*p - I have been having the hang-up problem lately with FireFox and was hoping for a fix here. I can't close FF and when I kill it with Task Manager, the sessions go away but the process remains and can not be killed; I have to re-boot. Is this similar? Or should I open my own thread?

Oh, cr*p - I have been having the hang-up problem lately with FireFox and was hoping for a fix here. I can't close FF and when I kill it with Task Manager, the sessions go away but the process remains and can not be killed; I have to re-boot. Is this similar? Or should I open my own thread?

I don't think this is the same problem but I'll try to help. Uninstall your flash plug-in and see if you can replicate the same problem. Also try opening another browser and seeing if it is likewise effected when your FF hangs.

Thanks - I forgot all about the Plug-ins (I went crazy disabling Add-ons to no avail). I disabled Shockwave and Shockwave for directors and Silverlight. I will see if this helps.

Thanks!!

That was it - when I disable ShockWave, the problem goes away. I have to turn it back on to watch youtube so eventually I have to reboot. I should check with FF/Mozilla to see if they have something for me.

Download Internet Explorer 8 (Beta) see if it helps you, it was my IE 7 that becomes unresponsive and tells me IE has encounterd and error and needs to close, but since i downloaded the IE 8 have not had that problem.
Download IE herewww.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer/beta/default.aspx
As for Firefox try updating not sure if that will solve your problem

I have finally managed to get to the bottom of this little problem. Since it has been annoying the crap out of me for months now I hope people will not mind a little bit of self-celebration:

About freaking time.

This seems to be a firewall issue. When this problem would happen the browser in question would no longer shut down properly. Its module would still continue running as a process and I would be unable to kill it. This always puzzled me since any user process should be subject to termination via the task manager. It seems that, for some reason, the firewall process has stopped the web browser process. Since the firewall process isn’t run in user space, and since the web browser module is going through this process, it can’t be terminated via the task manager.

So far I can consistently recreate this problem with both ZoneAlarm and Windows firewall. Comodo and PC Tools firewall don’t have this problem.

Basically, if this problem affects you try a different firewall.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.