I am running windows XP and would like to reformat my computer but I have never done this before,how do you go about doing it?Any tips or help would be great!!!
My system is older here is the specks.
Microsoft windows XP
Home edition
service pack 1

AMD Athlon Xp 1600
1.39GHz
128 MB off Ram

Thanks Ally :confused:

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

are you just installing XP as a fresh install?

If so stick your XP CD in the drive, you will be asked if you want to repair your existing install or install fresh, choose a new install.

you will then be asked where you want to install XP, this screen allows you to delete/create partitions, delete your existing partition, I think it is done by pressing (from memory...) d, ENTER, L (but the instructions are on screen so don't be too concerned.

Then create a new partition, again the Windows install will help you out by telling you the maximum size you can have etc.

The next screen asks you how you want to format the drive,

options will probably be something like:

NTFS
NTFS (quick)
Fat32
Fat32 (quick)

make your choice (I always go for NTFS (quick) - no probs as yet) and they you go - one formatted HDD, and Windows will continue with a nice fresh install.

Let me know if you need anything clarifying, or if you want to format, but do not want to install XP

SE (Dave)

If you have a burner I would suggest yo ugo to www.misrosoft.com/downloads and get SP2 first and burn it to disk and make it you first install right after you install winxp .

Great tip, but would the machine run SP2?

I thought the requirements on SP2 where a bit higher (256Mb RAM)

SE (Dave)

Great tip, but would the machine run SP2?

I thought the requirements on SP2 where a bit higher (256Mb RAM)

SE (Dave)

Yeah ,you could be right ,missed that ,I actuall would recomend 256 for XP with out any of the sps'
just a note sp1 doesent have protection for the latest sasser worm so i thing you will need some of the security updates before you connect to the net after installing .
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Popular.aspx?DisplayLang=en&categoryId=

You should DEFINITELY add more RAM to that system, regardless of which Service Pack you have. 128Mb is not enough. Adding another 128 or 256Mb to it will bring a performance improvement which will make you wonder how the hell you ever put up with what you had before!

I am running windows XP and would like to reformat my computer but I have never done this before,how do you go about doing it?Any tips or help would be great!!!
My system is older here is the specks.
Microsoft windows XP
Home edition
service pack 1

AMD Athlon Xp 1600
1.39GHz
128 MB off Ram

Thanks Ally :confused:

Hey Ally, you can find complete instructions here:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread6632.html

You will see a noticable difference with more RAM; Microsoft claims you can use XP (even with SP2) with 64MB. I actually tried it on a laptop and it does run, but you wouldn't want to use it that way! 256 is a more 'acceptable' minimum.

As mentioned before, you should try to get as many updates, etc. as possible before you reformat. You may find some helpful advice here:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread16365.html

Another question that I have then is....is it hard to add more Ram my self?I would love to have 256 or even better 512,but I am not sure how hard it would be to do myself,just a question?

Not hard at all

Open the case, look for the existing RAM module (RAM slots are usually in groups of 2-4, and usually towards the top of the mobo, or at least they are usually above half way.)

place your new stick in the closest slot to the existing RAM

RAM can only go in one way, if you look at the new stick, and look at the board, you should notice a notch not quite in the middle.

push the RAM securing tabs out, and gently push the RAM stick into the slot (if you have the RAM the right way around - indicated by the notch) it should go in without too much trouble, then press down a little hard until the RAM securing tabs click into place (they will lock the RAM in place for you)

Put the case or case side back on, and you should be done, turn the computer on and enjoy the improvment in speed!

It is really easy, nothing to it, you can't even get the RAM in the wrong way because of the notch - and when I said push gently - well don't be worried about pressing hard, as long as the notch is in the right place, and you don't just fly in there, everything should be fine.

SE

Hang on a tic.

The hardest part is actually identifying what type of RAM module you need. Fitting it is the easy part.

If you dream of 256Mb, it's highly likely that your system uses the older SD-RAM modules, rather than the newer DDR-RAM modules. Those are harder to find nowadays, and are expensive to purchase new. Purchasing seconhand is the way to go.

If your system is a really old one which uses 80-pin EDO RAM, then modules are REALLY hard to find, and must be used in pairs.

Some details of your system would help. Make/model of your PC and/or make/model of your motherboard.

Edit: Forget the EDO-RAM comment. There aren't any such systems for Athlon XP processors :)

make sure to unplug computer before installing ram just to be safe .and ground youself before taking the ram out of the static free bag that it should be in when you buy it !

Doesn't sound to hard to do,so if i wanted to go and put 512 mb into my system would I just go to the store and buy the 512 mb there?Or does it have to be a certain one to match the 128 I have in my system?

My System is....

AMD Athlon XP 1600
1.39 GHz
128 MB off Ram

Motherboard,I have no idea what it is,is there a way to find out?

Thanks,
Ally

Doesn't sound to hard to do,so if i wanted to go and put 512 mb into my system would I just go to the store and buy the 512 mb there?Or does it have to be a certain one to match the 128 I have in my system?

My System is....

AMD Athlon XP 1600
1.39 GHz
128 MB off Ram

Motherboard,I have no idea what it is,is there a way to find out?

Thanks,
Ally

You really need to know the board ,so you can find out just what kind and how much it can take and in what combination
You can find this out by opening the case and look on the mothere board for a name and or number .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.