I am new to this forum and facing a few problems with my PC.
Here goes the first one:

I had a virus attack and had to reformat the machine and install a new OS. My Xp Sp3 hangs when ever I insert a DVD. Earlier I never faced this issue.

Ok. I understand that is has been already discussed a lot. I tried all the things but it seems it does not work.

I am using the following configuration. Its a assembled machine

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
System Manufacturer: ASUS
System Model: A7V266-MX
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 224MB RAM
Page File: 318MB used, 227MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
DVD Model: SONY DVD RW DRU-V200S (A SATA model used as an IDE by using a SATA to IDE converter)

I tried a few things which were already discussed in the earlier posts.

1. Tried Disabling autorun of the DVD rom drive.
2. Pressing SHIFT while inserting the DVD. In this case it does not give any instant problem, but when I try to open some file inside the DVD it hangs.
3. Tried disabling the auto run by editing the registry.
4. Uninstalled Nero completely from the machine.
5. There is only one DVD rom and it is a Secondary master.
6. Not sure how to disable UMDA (can any one guide so that I can try that one too!)

Please help me solving this issue

Thanks
sxdasgu

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Do you have any cd/dvd authoring sw installed? WHat about av sw?

Do you have any cd/dvd authoring sw installed? WHat about av sw?

Currently I have none of them.
Earlier I had Nero 9 - Lite as my CD/DVD burning software and AVG Free 8.0 as my AV software.

I thought the problem might be these two. So uninstalled both of them. This worked for some time but the problem again came bac,

I had changed my transfer modeto PIO from UDMA 2. After that again it worked for a day. But again the issue came back.

I am not quite sure how to find out if there is some IRQ conflict and if yes then how to resolve that. Can any one help in this?

I am open to any other ideas also.

have you check device manager for any errors?

I have checked Device manager in "Device by type" mode and found no error (yellow exclamation sign (!)).
Not sure about IRQ conflicts though. I am not quite sure how to do that. Can any one guide me in this?
going via Device Manager->View->Resource By Type->IRQ, it did not make things clear to me.

Can any one tell me what should be the normal IRQ setting?

if no errors then IRQ setting should be okay..no conflict...

Yah,
Checked now. There is no IRQ conflict. The drive is added to secondary IDE. IRQ is 15 and not shared.
Problem remains the same. The drive some times work but most of the time does not.
Tried looking into event viewer from Admin tools.
The event viewer does not log any error after hang :( .
May be the IDE-SATA convertor is not working properly.
Need to check the DVD ROM Drive in some other PC if that is working.

Sounds like the sata/ide adapter or the drive if it is this flakey.

Yes HoustonIT,
Will take the CPU to a service center to check if the DVD Rom is working.
thanks
Sxdasgu

I have formatted the whole machine again.
The service center guy did it for me. He used the same DVD Rom for installing every thing.
Still some times the same problem happens. Again some times it works properly. It has become very unpredictable :( . Called the service guy to my home. He said most probably there is some probmem with the power. He told me that when a CD is inserted the DVD rom expects more power which when it tries to pull from the supply it fails and that may cause the Hang.
Is that a possibility?

you're using a IDE-SATA converter..it could be the culprit...
i just suggest buy a SATA DVD the money you're paying for the tech..will be enough to buy a SATA DVD...;) just a suggestion bro..nothing personal....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.