Hi everyone.

My friend asked me to have a look at his computer the other day because he cannot view certain web pages that he visits (ebay being one of them).

Well I thought it might be some spyware or browser hijacker or something so I tried running adaware, spybot, and avg 7.0 and it still hasn't solved the problem. It did kick up about 1000 bad entries altogether though, and I have deleted/fixed/quarantined them.

I was wondering is this an Internet Explorer problem and would a reinstall of Internet Explorer do the trick?.If not I have run hijack this and will post the log in the spyware forum (last resort).

Anyway I hope someone can point me in the right direction to fixing this problem.

Regards
taff

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Mmmmm. I have just re-read my post and it seems I was a bit vague in the description of the problem.

Lets try again.
The problem is when he visits some sites a message pops up and tells him that Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close. Sometimes he can view some material on a site, but when he clicks on a link the same problem occurs. It happens with this site aswell and I have no idea why.

Anyway, I hope that explains the problem a little better.

regards
taff

Try re installing IE using this utility.

Hi everyone.

My friend asked me to have a look at his computer the other day because he cannot view certain web pages that he visits (ebay being one of them).

Well I thought it might be some spyware or browser hijacker or something so I tried running adaware, spybot, and avg 7.0 and it still hasn't solved the problem. It did kick up about 1000 bad entries altogether though, and I have deleted/fixed/quarantined them.

I was wondering is this an Internet Explorer problem and would a reinstall of Internet Explorer do the trick?.If not I have run hijack this and will post the log in the spyware forum (last resort).

Anyway I hope someone can point me in the right direction to fixing this problem.

Regards
taff

Please complete the following steps:

1> START > CONTROL PANEL - Ensure that you are in Classic Mode
2> Double click on INTERNET OPTIONS
3> Select the ADVANCED tab
4> Under BROWSING, remove the check from ENABLE THIRD PARTY BROWSER EXTENSIONS
5> Click on APPLY, then OK
6> Reboot your computer

That WILL fix your issue.

Signal_Hill

If that doesn't work, go to start->run and type in msconfig

press enter

click on the startup tab and post the file names listed under commands here.

I'm specifically looking for
winstall.exe
ibm000001.exe
spysheriff.exe

If you have any of these, go to http://www.xoftspy.com/ and download their spy removal tool.

If you still have IE problems after that, I can walk you through repairing corrupt system files and reinstalling internet explorer.

scratch that xoft thing. Just post the files that are loaded on startup.

I had this problem and I think I fixed it [for now anyway!] I ran REGEDIT.EXE, went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\internet explorer\main looked for listing for "Local page" and deleted it fixed my problem it did! If you try this let me know if it works for you.

Hey why not just download an install a new browser, like Opera or Firefox. Internet explorer is full of security issues i personally hate Internet Explorer.

For people who go to sites and I.E. closes out automatically, try this, this finally worked for me. Nothing else mentioned helped....

In internet Options, go to the advanced tab, and uncheck the "Use HTTP 1.1" box under the HTTP 1.1 Settings. Hit OK, close out of I.E. and try again.

There are sites which deliberately close you if you have an old browser. There are others which do it if you are using a browser they don't like.

6> Reboot your computer

Signal_Hill

Thank you! I registered with the forum specifically to thank you and to let you everybody know that this solution worked perfectly for me.

6> Reboot your computer

Signal_Hill

I cannot follow your steps, because when I right-click on Internet Options, it does not respond at all. So I cannot open it......

ReneePC

my internet explorer closes down every time i log into myyearbook.
it's fine on the log in page and then when i log in. it closes out everything i have on I.E.

what do i do?

This worked! You are so right. I had searched around for a solution to my problem (IE7 closing down for no reason), but until I came across your advice, nothing worked. Thank you so much!

Virtualteach

6> Reboot your computer

Signal_Hill

Try reinstalling the Internet Explorer 8. I hope your problem will be solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.