I just got this laptop this month after my beloved HP died, and it has basically the same specs as my old one, a 2.0 Ghz with 3GB of RAM, the only difference is it's a Compaq, which is still technically HP. So I figured it would run just like my old one. My old laptop ran windows 7 but came originally with Vista. However this one still has vista since I haven't had time to update, and someone stole my disc.

The problem: My laptop is running at 1.0GHz, on a 2.0Ghz processor. It's a laptop and it's got vista so initially I chalked up the lag to vista being awful. Then I realized it was wayy too slow. So I pulled up PCWizard and saw that I was only getting 1000.** Mhz. I checked my power settings and the CPU power settings were fine, max 100%. I figured well maybe it's just idling at that speed. So I ran a stress test and maxed my CPU out, and it still didn't rise above 1ghz, so now I have to wonder, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

Laptop: Compaq Presario CQ60-203NR
Specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01632336&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3872067

The only thing NOT default is I added 1GB of RAM to make it 3GB, I took it out of my old laptop and it's the same speed RAM. So seriously, this is disgusting. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Well with not knowing what you have tried yet I would log into the CMOS and check all the CPU settings and review other items as well. I would then update my Chipset from the manufactures website with the most recent software.

The first thing I would do,would be to remove the extra memory module you added and then check if you still had the problem.

Does the limited CPU power occur when the machine is running on AC power? I found that Compaq's defaults on mine had it limited to 50% CPU on battery but 100% on AC.

I listed what I tried.

I don't have a screwdriver off hand but I thought about doing that. I can't imagine that would be the problem.

And my laptop only runs off DC, it uses a DC converter.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.