I installed the Port Reporter service on a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2 computer. The installion completed successfully but when I go and start the service I get an error

- Could not start Port Reporter service on Local Computer.
Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectantly.

And this is what shows up in the Event Log

Faulting application portreporter.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module portreporter.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00002ecb.

I've looked up the even ID online and it says the problem with other programs but it doesn't say anything about the port reporter service. I've even tried looking up the error on technet and other places and I couldn't find anything.

Has any one else had an error with port reporter and how did you fix it?
Thanks
Audrey

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi Audrey,

I am getting the same error. From what I can see it only happens on domain controllers.
Did you ever get a resolution for this?

Thanks

Rob

We have the same problem here, running Win2k3 SP1 domain controllers in a test environment.

We have determined that DNS is causing a conflict with the PR utility.

DNS off, PR runs fine.
DNS on, PR crashes on start.
DNS off, PR running, start DNS...PR crashes.

However, loading DNS on a non-DC Win2k3 SP1 box does not cause any problems for PR.

I switched to using Currports and used srvany from the Windows 2003 resourcekit to set it to run as a service.

Shame because portreporter seems a good product apart from this major bug

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.